irrlicht 1.80 vs ogre 1.81

Discussion of issues specific to mobile platforms such as iOS, Android, Symbian and Meego.
tanxiaocy
Gnoblar

irrlicht 1.80 vs ogre 1.81

Post by tanxiaocy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:54 am

as to the newest stable version irrlicht 1.8 and ogre 1.81,is there a huge gap about efficiency performance between these two render cores on OPENGL ES2.0, in other word,mobile platform?

if that is true,which stage of the render pipeline make these differences?
0 x

c6burns
Beholder

Re: irrlicht 1.80 vs ogre 1.81

Post by c6burns » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:17 am

I doubt there is a significant gap in performance between the two renderers on mobile devices, although I have not used irrlicht. For me, performance is always fragment shader bound, so I can't imagine a huge benefit coming from using a different renderer with the same shaders. One substantial benefit of Ogre in GLES2 development would be the RTShader System which can emulate fixed function for you.
0 x

tanxiaocy
Gnoblar

Post by tanxiaocy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:40 am

c6burns wrote:I doubt there is a significant gap in performance between the two renderers on mobile devices, although I have not used irrlicht. For me, performance is always fragment shader bound, so I can't imagine a huge benefit coming from using a different renderer with the same shaders. One substantial benefit of Ogre in GLES2 development would be the RTShader System which can emulate fixed function for you.
Thanks for your reply :) I see you focus on the mobile platform ,is there any products in app store or google play that you make ?

http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-ind ... using+OGRE
the ios game in this site seems bad on graphics
0 x

c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:09 am

The project I'm working on right now will launch next year. It's not exactly amazing graphics, but it's as good as our target hardware can handle. It's basically a skydiving sim, and even in its rough state I took a screenshot in case you're curious (the transparent overlays showed up a weird color in the screenshot for some reason): http://chucklingowl.com/tmp/sc.png

The thing to keep in mind is that Ogre is just a renderer. Whether your graphics look good or bad is down to your assets, your shaders, and the capabilities of your target hardware.
0 x

tanxiaocy
Gnoblar

Post by tanxiaocy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:47 am

c6burns wrote:The project I'm working on right now will launch next year. It's not exactly amazing graphics, but it's as good as our target hardware can handle. It's basically a skydiving sim, and even in its rough state I took a screenshot in case you're curious (the transparent overlays showed up a weird color in the screenshot for some reason): http://chucklingowl.com/tmp/sc.png

The thing to keep in mind is that Ogre is just a renderer. Whether your graphics look good or bad is down to your assets, your shaders, and the capabilities of your target hardware.
An interesting game,good luck:) the default terrain rendering in OGRE is low efficiency , and I have the off-line LOD algorithm implement ,maybe we can help each other in the future :) keep in touch~
0 x