[solved] App fails to run on iOS7 simulator

Discussion of issues specific to mobile platforms such as iOS, Android, Symbian and Meego.
simedj
Goblin

[solved] App fails to run on iOS7 simulator

Post by simedj »

I just rebuilt my app with XCode5 and iOS7 SDK 7 for the first time. When I run on the iOS6.1 simulator, it runs as normal, but when I run on the iOS7 simulator it breaks on an assertion (and if I skip, it just shows a blank screen):
GLES2RenderSystem::_createRenderWindow "", 768x1024 windowed miscParams: FSAA=0 Full Screen=No title=Simulated Medicine Internal Testbed
The iOS Simulator libSystem was initialized out of order. This is most often caused by running host executables or inserting host dylibs. In the future, this will cause an abort.
Assertion failed: (bundle != NULL), function open_libgl, file /usr/local/ogre/ogre1.8/src/RenderSystems/GLES2/src/gles2w.cpp, line 84.
I simply opened my XCodeProject in XCode5 and did a clean build (I previously used XCode 4.6 and iOS SDK 6.1).

Is it simply a problem that I have to rebuild all the dependency libs (Ogre, MyGUI, etc etc) for iOS7 SDK - I'd hoped they would be compatible? Seems odd it would still run in the 6.1 simulator....
Last edited by simedj on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking to find experienced Ogre & shader developers/artists. PM me with a contact email address if interested.
masterfalcon
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: App fails to run on iOS7 simulator

Post by masterfalcon »

I believe that I fixed that issue a while ago after the 1.9 release. The latest code in the 1.9 branch should work just fine in the simulator.
simedj
Goblin

Post by simedj »

Would you know a bug id or commit I could look for?

Also - should libs built with XCode 4 against the 6.1 SDK be compatible?
Looking to find experienced Ogre & shader developers/artists. PM me with a contact email address if interested.
masterfalcon
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by masterfalcon »

I would just use the latest in the 1.9 branch.

The 6.1 SDK should be fine to work with.
simedj
Goblin

Post by simedj »

I updated my source and am on the v1-9 branch, I noted the version is still reported as "1-9-0unstable". Is that correct?
simedj
Goblin

Post by simedj »

Well I updated Ogre, regenerated the xcode project, and re-built my Ogre SDK. No problems were reported.

But the moment I tried to build my codebase, I get the same problem as this person reported: http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 03#p497673:

'GLES2/gles2w.h' file not found

I haven't modified my project at all, and the structure of the old/new SDKs looks pretty similar to me. OpenGLES.framework is added to my project.

Why would this suddenly break and how on earth do I fix it?
simedj
Goblin

Post by simedj »

OK I can I think see quite clearly see the problem - in OgreGLES2Prerequisite.h in 1-9 branch, we have:

Code: Select all

#if OGRE_NO_GLES3_SUPPORT == 0
#   include <GLES3/gles3w.h>
#else
#   include <GLES2/gles2w.h>
#endif
But in my old version, I had

Code: Select all

#if (OGRE_PLATFORM != OGRE_PLATFORM_APPLE_IOS)
#if OGRE_NO_GLES3_SUPPORT == 0
#   include <GLES3/gles3w.h>
#else
#   include <GLES2/gles2w.h>
#endif
#endif
The perplexing thing is, how did I already have this fix in my older 1-9 code? It does seem a bit like deja vu but I couldn't see an old forum thread.

What's the deal here? Is there an outstanding pull request with this fix maybe?
masterfalcon
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by masterfalcon »

Nope, I think you may have some outstanding local changes or be out of date. The code in the 1.9 branch is how it should be.
simedj
Goblin

Post by simedj »

So gles2w.h SHOULD be included in the SDK structure now? Maybe I re-applied an old fix, I did a clean cmake setup after this so i will check that out and report back.