Building Ogre dependencies using NDK

Discussion of issues specific to mobile platforms such as iOS, Android, Symbian and Meego.
Slicky
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Building Ogre dependencies using NDK

Post by Slicky »

I have managed to build the dependencies except for Freeimage.

Has anyone recently been able to build a .a static library using the current NDK 10e I think it is?
c6burns
Beholder

Re: Building Ogre dependencies using NDK

Post by c6burns »

Yes, I build ogredeps as part of my framework and I'm 99% sure my laptop is using 10e. You are building from the ogredeps repo?
Wolfmanfx
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Wolfmanfx »

Yes but I had to patch freeImage - can you show me the compiler error I am not sure if I pushed it
Slicky
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by Slicky »

Well it's a bit of a long story but yes I did get the source from the Ogredeps. I have since got various other attemps from the net with people building Freeimage.

The ogredeps library gives this error:

Code: Select all

error: undefined reference to '__srget'
when linked into my project.

I would prefer to build it using NDK but currently I am getting various errors:

[armeabi] Compile++ thumb: FreeImage <= IlmThreadSemaphorePosix.cpp
jni/Source/OpenEXR/IlmThread/IlmThreadMutexWin32.cpp: In constructor 'IlmThread::Mutex::Mutex()':
jni/Source/OpenEXR/IlmThread/IlmThreadMutexWin32.cpp:49:5: error: '::InitializeCriticalSection' has not been declared
     ::InitializeCriticalSection (&_mutex);
     ^
jni/Source/OpenEXR/IlmThread/IlmThreadMutexWin32.cpp:49:35: error: '_mutex' was not declared in this scope
I have found some repos with freeimage that did build with NDK but they seem outdated because even if I follow the steps it doesn't build.

The ideal thing would be a repo that would build with : ndk-build using ndk r10e.
Last edited by Slicky on Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slicky
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by Slicky »

Just to reiterate ideally I am not looking to do a cmake setup and then build using Visual Studio. I am trying to just use the command line: ndk-build
Slicky
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by Slicky »

And trying a different build using Freeimage 3.17

ndk-build -j 2
[armeabi] Compile++ thumb: FreeImage <= ImfHuf.cpp
[armeabi] Compile++ thumb: FreeImage <= ImfInputFile.cpp
In file included from jni/Source/OpenEXR/./IlmImf/ImfHuf.cpp:50:0:
jni/Source/OpenEXR/IlmImf/ImfAutoArray.h: In instantiation of 'Imf::AutoArray<T, size>::AutoArray() [with T = int; int size = 65537]':
jni/Source/OpenEXR/./IlmImf/ImfHuf.cpp:298:34:   required from here
jni/Source/OpenEXR/IlmImf/ImfAutoArray.h:60:71: error: 'memset' was not declared in this scope, and no declarations were found by argument-dependent lookup at the point of instantiation [-fpermissive]
   AutoArray (): _data (new T [size]) { memset(_data, 0, size*sizeof(T)); }
Slicky
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by Slicky »

To avoid confusion I just downloaded the Cabalastic repo and used that source. I can paste my android.mk and application.mk if that would be useful.

Here is the error from this fresh download:

[armeabi] Compile++ thumb: FreeImage <= IlmThreadPool.cpp
jni/Source/OpenEXR/IlmThread/IlmThreadMutexWin32.cpp: In constructor 'IlmThread::Mutex::Mutex()':
jni/Source/OpenEXR/IlmThread/IlmThreadMutexWin32.cpp:49:5: error: '::InitializeCriticalSection' has not been declared
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

You should be using the ogredeps repo .... you should be following the steps outlined here:
http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/CMake+Qu ... on=Android

You can literally cut/paste step the command from step 3 to build ogredeps. Just change the CMake generator to "NMake Makefiles" in windows. Build from visual studio command prompt using nmake. Profit. If you want to use ndk-build you are on your own ... I use CMake to cross compile everything.

I double checked. My laptop is using 10e / vs2015 and ogredeps builds fine.
Wolfmanfx
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Wolfmanfx »

ah shit openEXR should be disabled - nobody needing it (I thought I disabled inside the deps)
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

Wolfmanfx wrote:ah shit openEXR should be disabled - nobody needing it (I thought I disabled inside the deps)
That part built for me actually, but yeah I guess it would speed up compilation haha
Wolfmanfx
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Wolfmanfx »

Yeah but I disabled a few codec to save memory freeimage just get that huge because of all supported codecs (and some like openEXR is not needed by the masses)
Slicky
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by Slicky »

An update. Yesterday I got it to build using NDK except I removed tiff support because I was getting errors in the tiff code. Not the prettiest but for now it works. I may revisit the tiff part.

Using cmake on Windows do you get .a libraries? I'm still trying to understand it seems that using a standard windows. lib might not work?

All my supporting libraries including Ogre are .a
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

That's weird. The tiff code in freeimage builds for me.

In windows you get .a libs. When you build ogre and ogredeps on windows using the NDK, you are actually cross-compiling with gcc in a win32 exe form. The toolchain file you pass to CMake finds the cross compiler for you, and then nmake is actually compiling using gcc, so the resulting binary is .a for static and .so for dynamic

The way I have my own project set up is that all my dependencies are built as external projects using CMake, and then only my final application is built as an android project, linking against the other static libs, building using ndk-build and producing the final .so which is loaded by the small amount of java required to glue a native program into the android lifecycle using JNI
Slicky
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by Slicky »

Good info. Out of curiosity can you link a Windows .Lib into an android project. I'm thinking you can't for similar reasons on Windows linking for example debug and release.

My main reason for NDK is that once it is set up it is easy to build all types: arm x86 etc. I'm sure the same can be said of the cmake route but for me it seemed cleaner.

All of the other dependencies built with only minor issues. I read that zlib is already in the NDK but that was after I built it.
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

ndk-build is just building it as many times as it takes, using different target architectures. With CMake you specify your target architecture to the toolchain like so:

cmake -G"my makefile generator" -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=/my/toolchain/file -DANDROID_ABI=my_chosen_abi -DANDROID_NATIVE_API_LEVEL=my_api_level -DANDROID_TOOLCHAIN_NAME=my_toolchain_name_and_version
ANDROID_ABI and ANDROID_NATIVE_API_LEVEL and ANDROID_TOOLCHAIN_NAME are option arguments to get more specific results from the toolchain

my_chosen_abi is where you select your target architecture ... be it armeabi-v7a or x86 or that new armv8x64 or whatever

my_toolchain_name_and_version is where you choose your version of the cross compiler (eg. arm-linux-androideabi-4.8 )

my_api_level of course is the target NDK api version (eg. 10 for some reason targets android-9 ... never looked into why lol)

Sadly, I'm not sure there's a way to build multiple ABIs at once in CMake like there is with ndk-build. You can definitely build them each separately though. A really good question after that is "how do you link all of the different ABI libs you built separately with CMake into your final android project using ndk-build?". I have that question also, I just haven't answered it yet because I'm not quite to the final stage of submission to google play. This link from google looks promising, but I have yet to try that. Maybe you can be my pioneer on that issue :lol:
https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/ ... -platforms
Slicky
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by Slicky »

Thanks for yet more info. Part of the appeal for me with ndk is a nice clean structure and 2 files that given the build. I also got all platform files in one build. Admittedly I only use Armeabi for testing and am not at the point of working out how to package the different platforms.

Right now my approach is to debug on Armeabi and worry about the packaging later. Like I said I do like the concept of multiple builds for all platforms from ndk when that day arrives.

I'll share when I get there but like many things it is a question of when.

I'd post my application and Android.mk but since I had to cut out tiff I don't know how valuable it would be for people.
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

I doubt anyone is using tiff on android platform. Everyone should be using ETC1 (or ETC2 if targeting minimum of gles3 I guess). Or possibly even building out different versions for PowerVR to use PVRTC or whatever. Google Play sorts out which hardware gets which version for you.

The way you build might be helpful for some. Personally I like the CMake route. Partly because it's the devil I know, but also because I use the same build scripts to build out my 12 different dependencies on 6 different platforms (win7 / windows universal / android / linux / OSX / iOS). But I do agree with what you are saying about the convenience of the android project and how it automatically builds out all your ABI targets. That is convenient, to be sure!