why 2.1 samples so slow on iphone6

Discussion of issues specific to mobile platforms such as iOS, Android, Symbian and Meego.
itlmy
Gnoblar

why 2.1 samples so slow on iphone6

Post by itlmy »

hi everyone,
i'm using this amazing engine for years on pc, and i'm consider making a new 3d ios game with ogre 2.1.
I compiled those 2.1 samples with metal renderer,both debug and release, and run some of them on my iphone6 64gb. but all of them are too slow(most under 30 fps,some 15fps).
Did i miss something? Why ? I compiled the same version of ogre 2.1 under win10 with dx11 renderer,they are fast(above 100 fps).
Should i use another branch? Maybe 1.9?Or 2.0?Is this normal?
anything will helped,thank you!
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: why 2.1 samples so slow on iphone6

Post by dark_sylinc »

Hi,

By default Ogre 2.1 samples do on iOS everything that is possible on Desktop, with the exact same output. Which can be... pretty taxing for a mobile phone. The fact that these samples run at 15-30fps is actually a milestone for these devices.
This means expensive GGX BRDF and per pixel lighting.

We have planned on providing cheaper BRDFs to trade quality for speed like all other engines do; but I haven't found the time to implement it (which shouldn't be too hard though).

Lowering resolution also helps a lot (even if it means lower resolution + MSAA to recover some quality)
itlmy
Gnoblar

Re: why 2.1 samples so slow on iphone6

Post by itlmy »

dark_sylinc wrote:Hi,

By default Ogre 2.1 samples do on iOS everything that is possible on Desktop, with the exact same output. Which can be... pretty taxing for a mobile phone. The fact that these samples run at 15-30fps is actually a milestone for these devices.
This means expensive GGX BRDF and per pixel lighting.

We have planned on providing cheaper BRDFs to trade quality for speed like all other engines do; but I haven't found the time to implement it (which shouldn't be too hard though).

Lowering resolution also helps a lot (even if it means lower resolution + MSAA to recover some quality)
thanks for the reply.
i guess i should use v1 material right now and read those samples carefully to see what's the different between 2.1 and 1.8(my familiar version)
thank you!