Android: use NDK toolchain rather than provided with Ogre sources

Discussion of issues specific to mobile platforms such as iOS, Android, Symbian and Meego.
niparx
Gnoblar

Android: use NDK toolchain rather than provided with Ogre sources

Post by niparx »

Are there any plans to use NDK toolchain, rather than one provided with Ogre sources (CMake/toolchain/android.toolchain.cmake)?

NDK is moving from gnu_stl to c++stl as default library. In NDK 16 c++stl was moved out of Beta. Will Ogre move forward as well? I tried to compile Ogre with NDK 16, and it failed: folder structure of NDK platforms has changed, so, toolchain, provided with sources does not work anymore. NDK 15c looks like the latest version, which compiles with Ogre without issues.

Will try to make it work with NDK 16 by using NDK toolchain.

P.S. Used default branch (77beef15aa35592a48c7404d8100c1ff261c1b6a).
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Android: use NDK toolchain rather than provided with Ogre sources

Post by paroj »

patches are welcome :) but please keep in mind that the existing toolchain must still work. The toolchain shipped with the NDK requires cmake 3.6, but our CI builder (Ubuntu 14.04) only provides cmake 3.2 - even Ubuntu 16.04 just has cmake 3.5.
niparx
Gnoblar

Re: Android: use NDK toolchain rather than provided with Ogre sources

Post by niparx »

Yeah, I'll keep that in mind.
Currently Ogre CI is uses NDK 15b. I have build Ogre with NDK 15c, and it works for me (i did not do tests, so can't say anything about it). And as I said, Ogre already won't work with latest NDK r16.

Will try to do the patch