[SOLVED] Sample Browser and Programmable pipeline

Minor issues with the Ogre API that can be trivial to fix
AlexeyKnyshev
Goblin

[SOLVED] Sample Browser and Programmable pipeline

Post by AlexeyKnyshev »

I have built Ogre 1.8.0 from sources at 25 May 2012. I started SampleBrowser and test samples today. So when I set Fixed Pipeline Enabled = No and try to "Select Category" I always have crash with this exception:

An exception has occurred: OGRE EXCEPTION(3:RenderingAPIException): Attempted to render using the fixed pipeline when it is disabled. in GLRenderSystem::_render at /home/alexey/dev/lib/ogre/RenderSystems/GL/src/OgreGLRenderSystem.cpp (line 2887)

Linux 3.0.0-12generic
Intel GMA965
GLX version: 1.4
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.11
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

In addition, I can do anything in bug-tracing system because of internal error #2900.
Browser: Google Chrome.

Regards, Alexey Knyshev.
Last edited by AlexeyKnyshev on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CABAListic
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Re: [BUG] Sample Browser and Programmable pipeline

Post by CABAListic »

This is expected behaviour - fixed function pipeline is required for the samples.

There is actually no reason to disable it in the SampleBrowser, so ideally the option shouldn't even be available in the SampleBrowser. But the Browser just lists all of the available options for a render system, and since disabling the fixed function pipeline is an option for the render systems, it's listed. There is no simple and elegant way to fix this, so this is probably going to remain as it is for now.
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Fixed Pipeline Enabled option is meant to forbid the use of Fixed Function for Rendersystems that support both Fixed Pipeline and Shader-driven Pipelines (i.e. OpenGL & Direct3D9)

Selecting "off" eases the transition to D3D10 & D3D11 rendersystems (may be OGL in the future?) which do not support Fixed Function at all; by raising an exception each time the developer tries to use something without shaders. This is intentional.

This option is oriented towards developers rather than end users. Unless you're planning to move to D3D11, we recommend leaving this option "on"
AlexeyKnyshev
Goblin

Post by AlexeyKnyshev »

Thank a lot.
m2codeGEN
Halfling

Post by m2codeGEN »

AlexeyKnyshev wrote: Intel GMA965
GLX version: 1.4
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.11