[2.1] Where is SampleBrowser's GUI in Ogre 2.1? Topic is solved

Discussion area about developing with Ogre-Next (2.1, 2.2 and beyond)


Post Reply
123iamking
Gremlin
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:16 pm
x 4

[2.1] Where is SampleBrowser's GUI in Ogre 2.1?

Post by 123iamking »

According to this article
The SampleBrowser is part of the 1.x samples. These are not the 2.1 samples.
So the SampleBrowser is for Ogre 1.x. But how about the GUI of the SampleBrowser. I see that the OgreBites is responsible for the GUI, but I can't find OgreBites in Ogre 2.1 source.
So I'm curious a couple of things about the simple GUI (or simply Overlay) system in Ogre 2.1 :)
  • Why is the Overlay system decided to put inside the v1 namespace? (I try to read AZDO changes but I still don't understand clearly - just understand vaguely that it's not ported yet (but which part is incompatible?). Also what is the consequence when I try to use it (for example: slow performance,...))
  • Why is the GUI (OgreBites namespace) excluded from Ogre 2.1? (What's make it incompatible?)
Thanks for reading :)
User avatar
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member
Posts: 5588
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:55 pm
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
x 1413
Contact:

Re: [2.1] Where is SampleBrowser's GUI in Ogre 2.1?

Post by dark_sylinc »

123iamking wrote:I see that the OgreBites is responsible for the GUI, but I can't find OgreBites in Ogre 2.1 source.
OgreBites was complex to support or maintain (mostly because of Overlay's aging design), and relied on Overlay component.
123iamking wrote:[*]Why is the Overlay system decided to put inside the v1 namespace? (I try to read AZDO changes but I still don't understand clearly - just understand vaguely that it's not ported yet (but which part is incompatible?). Also what is the consequence when I try to use it (for example: slow performance,...))
It hasn't been ported, thus it hasn't ideal performance. The problem is that if the v1 buffer mapping hits a slow path, it could cause stalls (thus slowing everything down).
Overlay has many small details to improve it would be best to just write a new one, just nobody has one. Making good GUIs is hard and everyone uses a different solution.

IIRC OgreBites didn't rely on anything that was removed, so it should probably be possible to port it to 2.1 without too much effort; but there isn't much interest shown so far.
123iamking
Gremlin
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:16 pm
x 4

Re: [2.1] Where is SampleBrowser's GUI in Ogre 2.1?

Post by 123iamking »

dark_sylinc wrote:Making good GUIs is hard and everyone uses a different solution.
Hi dark_sylinc, I want to ask you a personal question :D What GUI library are you using for your current project (I notice a game you are developing called Distant Souls)
Post Reply