The roadmap to 1.9 and 2.0

Discussion area about developing with Ogre-Next (2.1, 2.2 and beyond)

Transporter
Minaton

Re: The roadmap to 1.9 and 2.0

Post by Transporter »

Klaim wrote:If I remember correctly this have been discussed several times and the main argument was that some compiler warnings are different between compilers and when you fix one it add a warning to the other or something.

I don't know if it's a solvable problem. I guess it is because most warning I see are conversion warnings.
There are two ways to handle this problem:
  1. Fix the code. You can use preprocessor macros to support multiple compiler setups.
  2. Disable the warnings in cmake. You can add the commands in cmake compiler specific, too.
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

See the related discussions.
PhilipLB
Google Summer of Code Student

Post by PhilipLB »

Maybe it would be worth it for 2.0 to throw away the current scripting system and go for something more flexible like Lua?
Google Summer of Code 2012 Student
Topic: "Volume Rendering with LOD aimed at terrain"
Project links: Project thread, WIKI page, Code fork for the project
Mentor: Mattan Furst

Volume GFX, accepting donations.
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

I remember it have been discussed before but I don't remember why it was rejected. If my memory is correct, it was in a discussion about the "new" (not so new now) script compiler.
TheSHEEEP
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by TheSHEEEP »

Do you mean for material scripts, etc?

I think the current scripting is already fine, as it is rather simple and material files can be edited by artists without actual scripting experience. And Ogre already is pretty demanding on artists, as there is no one official toolkit with official support.
The current scripts are more definition files (like a config xml file) than they are really scripting something (like in Python or Lua).

I mean, I'm a huge fan of scripting (and LuaJIT is incredibly fast, btw.), but switching from a definition-style script to an actual scripting script may make the system more flexible, but also harder to use for non-programmers.
Which would require even better toolkits for material export. Which the Ogre team can't really offer (not enough manpower). It would also force third party tool (like OgreMax) developers to implement the chosen scripting language.

Of course, we could re-write the material script files to use Lua (like this), but that would mean switching just for the sake of using Lua (or Python or whatever).

So, yeah, I'm not fully convinced of that idea ;)
My site! - Have a look :)
Also on Twitter - extra fluffy
PhilipLB

Post by PhilipLB »

There is a material editor in the Repo. What's its state? I can't compile it currently as I don't have all the deps installed and I'm a bit lazy here. :) Maybe offering a compiled download on ogre3d.org here would be good? Just a bunch of popular platforms (Windows 32bit, Windows 64bit, OSX, maybe Linux?).
Google Summer of Code 2012 Student
Topic: "Volume Rendering with LOD aimed at terrain"
Project links: Project thread, WIKI page, Code fork for the project
Mentor: Mattan Furst

Volume GFX, accepting donations.
bstone
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by bstone »

Yeah, scripting just for the sake of scripting is not a sensible target. And I'm pretty sure that the superb features of the current Ogre scripts (e.g. the item-level inheritance) would look cumbersome in LUA if implemented at all.
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

I think the best that the Ogre Team could do (and that is clearly not a priority nor a request from myself) would be to just make sure that the scripting system have it's front-end separated from it's backend in a way allowing people to implement their own interpreter if they wish (using another scripting language for example.
This would go in the same direction than changes (planned?) for ResourceManager, but in a far far less important way.

I guess someone wanting scripting instead of material file would make a big patch to allow this, right? :twisted:
CABAListic
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by CABAListic »

Given that materials can be created programmatically, you can implement an arbitrary scripting system without any changes to Ogre core. The only thing to do would be to make Ogre's script system optional (i.e. move to a separate component/plugin), which isn't hard to do and is on my todo list.
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

Now that you say that it seems obvious. O__O
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

I split the Math discussion into a separate thread: http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 32#p471332
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
rozn
Gnoblar

Post by rozn »

How is the status on the WinRT and WP8 port? Windows Phone 8 SDK has been released for awhile now.
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

Source code is in the official repository and can be used. Guides and further info can be found here in the forums as well as in the source repository (there are some explanatory text files IIRC).
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
Fred50
Gnoblar

Post by Fred50 »

Please hurry the forums is dead. I think most people are using game engines now like UDK, CE3 and Unity.
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

Fred50 wrote:Please hurry the forums is dead. I think most people are using game engines now like UDK, CE3 and Unity.
Wait, what? Both our forums are online and active. So no clue what you are talking about?!

And that second part doesn't hold up as much as you seem to think...not to mention that that is simply a bad comparison since rendering engine != game engine.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Hurrying is not a good thing for a serious software project.

1.9 is near release candidate stage, but 2.0 is probably well over a year away at the earliest.
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

Fred50 wrote:Please hurry the forums is dead. I think most people are using game engines now like UDK, CE3 and Unity.
Dunno if the forum is dead or not, but the coding activity level is one of the highest of the last couple of years. In both, Ogre 1.9 and 2.0 (https://bitbucket.org/dark_sylinc/ogremathtest/src !).
AshMcConnell
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by AshMcConnell »

I am very excited with the new developments in Ogre. I think it's a very exciting time. The changes for 2.0 look fantastic and a huge amount of hard work by the guys!
Transporter
Minaton

Post by Transporter »

Here is a good target to reach for v2:
Xavyiy
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by Xavyiy »

Transporter wrote:Here is a good target to reach for v2:
Challenge accepted! Here I start my attempt!
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Here is a good target to reach for v2:
If we could reverse engineer the UNG format, then we could "borrow" their art assets and shaders. :)

The terrain textures are exposed (dds files, 16 x 16 terrain tiles, each is 512x512 dxt5, plus a low detail 2048x2048 dds for the entire terrain, but I don't know the format of the height map data (although now I'm curious, it's been a while since I reverse engineered a terrain format (last one was Just Cause 2).

But yeah, we need some cool demos like that.
madmarx
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by madmarx »

It's funny that I was not impressed by this Unigine demo from a programming point of view. Its mostly shader work. I like the clouds and the dust particles, and that's all.
I hope a static scene like that is not the aim for v2 :roll: .
Tutorials + Ogre searchable API + more for Ogre1.7 : http://sourceforge.net/projects/so3dtools/
Corresponding thread : http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 93&start=0
Lee04
Minaton

Post by Lee04 »

immutable state objects in dx11 and opengl are they in placed and used now ogre by default?
Ph.D. student in game development