[2.1] Defining texture types other than TEX_TYPE_2D

Discussion area about developing with Ogre2 branches (2.1, 2.2 and beyond)
al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

[2.1] Defining texture types other than TEX_TYPE_2D

Post by al2950 »

Currently the compositor scripts do not support defining any other texture type than TEX_TYPE_2D. I was thinking about adding the ability to define other texture types, eg TEX_TYPE_CUBE_MAP.

Is this something that would be appreciated if it was added, and are there any thoughts about how!?

dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: [2.1] Defining texture types other than TEX_TYPE_2D

Post by dark_sylinc »

The feature started to appear in the uav branch, though I can't remember in which state it was.
The main motivation was that texture arrays was extremely useful.

dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Oh look, seems it was already added.

Probably not fully tested though.
syntax was:

Code: Select all

texture target_width target_scale 16 PF_R8G8B8A8 2d_array/3d/cubemap
where 16 is the depth/array value. Depth is automatically forced to 1 for 2d textures and to 6 for cubemaps.

I think I need to finish that branch and merge it back... (btw it was close to being finished if I recall...)

al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by al2950 »

Awesome :D I was wondering about the state of the uav and pso branches.

dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

pso branch:
It's technically ready. I haven't merged back because I haven't got the time to test it on a "real" environment to check for any potential issue.
So far demos and Dergo have been successful, but I need to test it on heavy game engines. Otherwise it would've been merged already.

uav branch:
Has been frozen due to lack of time.
  • D3D11 support was largely untested or maybe even missing. GL3+ support was working very well. I may end up merging with main without D3D11 support ready to avoid further delays.
  • There was a change in how compositors work: now the scripts need to tell the compo which local/global textures will be available to the pass for fetching via SceneManager::getCompositorTextures. This is so we can issue the barriers in DX12/Vulkan while avoiding to issue these barriers if you don't really need these textures. Right now what's missing is the script syntax for telling the compo about this.
  • Barrier issuing needs a few adjustments because I learnt it's better to batch all of them together when possible. Currently the compo does not account for this. I'll probably merge before doing this (since we don't have Vulkan/DX12 renderers yet anyway)