BGFX vs Ogre 2.1

Discussion area about developing with Ogre-Next (2.1, 2.2 and beyond)

Jay721
Halfling

BGFX vs Ogre 2.1

Post by Jay721 »

Hi guys.

Does anyone know the benefits of choosing ogre over bgfx in terms of performance? I’m finding BGFX a lot easier to use than ogre at the moment but I don’t want to ditch Ogre just because I find it slightly harder to use.

Thanks for reading :)
al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Re: BGFX vs Ogre 2.1

Post by al2950 »

I am curious where you ended up with your BGFX Vs Ogre 2.1? I am also curios as to how you found it easier than Ogre! As BGFX is technically a lower level library so should require more work than Ogre.
Jay721
Halfling

Post by Jay721 »

I ended up spending the last month or so with BGFX, I feel like BGFX has an easier learning curve (somehow). One of the main reasons I chose BGFX was because I really needed a GUI system like ImGUI, and with Ogre I was spending too much time trying to figure that out.

Right now I am reconsidering Ogre since I want to achieve some better stuff graphics wise, BGFX is obviously more complicated in that area.
crancran
Greenskin

Post by crancran »

Jay721 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:57 am I ended up spending the last month or so with BGFX, I feel like BGFX has an easier learning curve (somehow). One of the main reasons I chose BGFX was because I really needed a GUI system like ImGUI, and with Ogre I was spending too much time trying to figure that out.
What was the cause for the time sink? Was it an issue with setting up the build environment to compile the UI project itself or was it more concern with trying to integrate a UI framework with a specific version of OGRE and you ran into snags along the way?

Its also important to be cognizant that the version of OGRE you want to use in your project will limit your GUI framework choices. Many of the GUI frameworks still are fairly compatible with v1; however, as v2 has introduced lots of new features and changes, there is a chance that your GUI alternatives for v2 will be much more limited.

If you have any specific questions about a UI framework, don't hesitate to ask.
Jay721
Halfling

Post by Jay721 »

I was using Ogre 2.1, as I don’t want to use v1 as I will eventually have to upgrade. I was trying to integrate ImGUI with ogre, I had looked at other people’s attempts with v2 and none seemed to work for me.

When I was using Ogre I had no clue how to set up any form of UI, this was the time sink.
crancran
Greenskin

Post by crancran »

Jay721 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:32 am I was using Ogre 2.1, as I don’t want to use v1 as I will eventually have to upgrade. I was trying to integrate ImGUI with ogre, I had looked at other people’s attempts with v2 and none seemed to work for me.
I can't speak specifically to ImGUI, but I know other frameworks tend to lag behind, particularly with v2 support as that is generally things supplied to those frameworks by community contributions. Since the number of people who have used v2 is much smaller than v1, its naturally that the support dictated by community contribution would be much more behind. Unfortunately that's just the nature of the beast in the open source world.

But that said, CEGUI's default branch is now compatible not only with v1 but up to and including v2.1 as of this past week. There is lots of tutorials out there but what I found most helpful was the samples. Let me know if you run into any issues.
xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by xrgo »

Using myGui with ogre 2.1. no problems, except I had to do some workarounds to make it work in multiple render targets. But to use it just in the main window there should be no problem
https://github.com/MyGUI/mygui/tree/ogre2.1
Jay721
Halfling

Post by Jay721 »

Thanks guys. I’m probably gonna jump back into Ogre soon :P