Current Branches

Discussion area about developing with Ogre-Next (2.1, 2.2 and beyond)

Mako_energy
Greenskin

Current Branches

Post by Mako_energy »

I've been casually observing commits to various branches in the Git repo on Bitbucket lately. Specifically I have noticed that commits to the 2.2WIP branch have slowed considerably and the Metal-Macos branch hasn't been touched in quite some time.

For the Metal branch, I can see it was merged with 2.1. I'll admit I wasn't clear if that means the Metal changes are in 2.1, or if the changes to 2.1 were applied to the Metal branch. Looking at the records for the 2.1 branch on the same day it seems to be the latter. The name of this branch implies that the Metal rendersystem is in some way unstable or incomplete. Is that the case? If not, why does the branch exist?

As for 2.2WIP, is there a roadblock slowing it's progress or just a lack of time situation? Or is it stable enough and in need of testing?
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Current Branches

Post by dark_sylinc »

Hi!

Regarding the metal-macos branch: It was created by a new team member that lasted little time. He worked his improvements on that branch, and then got merged periodically into 2.1; the branch hasn't been touched since he left but I think the latest changes have been already merged into 2.1; I should probably close it.
As for "stability", Metal-iOS is very stable. Metal-macOS got a lot of improvements (and there's people using it) but I'd consider it "beta", there may be a few rough edges.

Regarding 2.2-WIP "slowdown": I was on vacation. Then I started working on features that work on 2.1 as well; which are periodically merged back to 2.2 (SceneFormat component). There also had been some PRs to 2.1; which is natural it's going to have more community engagement than 2.2 which has very little adoption.
But it is true that at the moment what 2.2 needs the most, is testing rather than adding new features. Over time I will start migrating more and more personal stuff therefore giving it more stress testing.

Cheers