trueSKY

Discussion area about developing with Ogre2 branches (2.1, 2.2 and beyond)
TaaTT4
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

trueSKY

Post by TaaTT4 »

Hi guys, does anyone of you use trueSKY in your own projects?
Senior game programmer at Vae Victis
Working on Racecraft

SolarPortal
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Re: trueSKY

Post by SolarPortal »

We were going too, even had the contract from the developer so we could use it free for a couple years but life got in the way and it got put to the side. After the free section though, the asked price was expensive.

Don't know how much it will be now due to market changes but it was 4 zeros at the time a year. The developer is easy to talk too though and the system looks incredible

Its implentation happens in pure dx11 and opengl but if I remember correctly at the time one of the renders system demos didn't work and crashed.
Lead developer of the Skyline Game Engine: https://aurasoft-skyline.co.uk

TaaTT4
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by TaaTT4 »

SolarPortal wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:58 am
Don't know how much it will be now due to market changes but it was 4 zeros at the time a year. The developer is easy to talk too though and the system looks incredible
We bought it few months ago discounted for less than 100$.
Working on Racecraft

SolarPortal
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by SolarPortal »

wow.. thats quite a diff in price, might have to check it out. It could have been because we were trying to implement into our engine and let users use it free of charge.. But we could make a plugin for our engine that people could then buy a license for :P
Thanks for the information :)

Did you get anywhere with it, does it produce good results.

TaaTT4
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by TaaTT4 »

SolarPortal wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:58 am
Its implentation happens in pure dx11 and opengl but if I remember correctly at the time one of the renders system demos didn't work and crashed.
Correct! It's one of the worst library I had to deal with since I've started programming: all the samples they provide just crash (or don't build), the documentation is scarce (and apparently also outdated) and their support is ridicolous (I'm still waiting for an answer about a major bug for over a month: the installer of the 4.2 version doesn't contain the lib/dll). I imagine that Unity/UE4 represent 95% of their business, but it's a shame they apparently don't care for non-commercial engines since, on the market, there aren't equally valid competitors.

Anyway, after a month of frustrating tries (and a bit of blasphemies), I've been able to render a sky! <3 I had to put this task on hold due to impellent side tasks for artists, but I hope to being able to continue with it (day/night cycle, cloud shadows) from the next week on.

Feel free to ask if you have questions.
Working on Racecraft

SolarPortal
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by SolarPortal »

That sky looks good..
a month to get that, no surprises with that codebase though haha :P
Good job!

If we come to integrate it, ill certainly be hitting you up :)

Nickak2003
Gremlin

Post by Nickak2003 »

can you post an idea of what exactly is involved to get it to integrate with a basic ogre scene or tutorial app? I'm wondering if I should examine it too.

TaaTT4
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by TaaTT4 »

Nickak2003 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:19 pm
can you post an idea of what exactly is involved to get it to integrate with a basic ogre scene or tutorial app? I'm wondering if I should examine it too.
I'd recommend the integration of trueSKY with OGRE just to advanced user.
To make it extremely simple, it consists in create a custom Ogre::CompositorPass to put in between the rendering of opaque and transparent objects. But since the devil is in the details, there's a lot of additional little things you have to consider/deal with. E.g. to subsequently apply scatter effects to transparent objects or to cast cloud shadows (still have to do both) you have to customize the HLMS PBS implementation, on C++ side as well as shader side.
In addition, semi-advanced knowledge of the render system you're interested in as well as the OGRE internal operations is mandatory in my opinion. Don't know what are you skills, but if you've never handled OpenGL/DirectX API, wrote some shaders and modified OGRE sources (ideally: creating your own customized PBS implementation), I'd let it go (or I'd pay someone else to do the job for me :lol:). I don't want to be tough neither scare anyone, but I believe is better to be warned in advance.
At the end, I could probably share some code snippets too, but I have to discuss this with my boss first.
Working on Racecraft

al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by al2950 »

Interesting post!

I looked at truesky nearly ten years ago and again back in January. The tech seems very promising and uses the same techniques I would like to implement if I had the time. Sadly nothing has changed in ten years, the demos dont compile, the pre-compiled demos dont run. I did put some effort in getting some of them to run, but then everything was horrendously overexposed so was ultimately a negative sales point.

However to get an idea of what the tech is capable of, their sky sequencer app works, and although is a bit buggy in places, it gives you a good idea of the capabilities.

I have used and still use Sundog Software's for sky (Silverlining), and water (Triton ) in some of my systems. I do not feel their tech is as good, but they are very helpful and its fairly simply to integrate into Ogre as just need a custom compositors pass, although this does assume clouds are always behind any transparent objects.