My current feedback loop for content testing is OK, but I'd like to invest some time and effort to improve the process. Current content pipeline:
Adding a new mesh
- Create the mesh in Blender. Save it.
- Invoke custom Bash script (I'm on macOS) that:
- Runs the blender2Ogre script
- Convert to .mesh using Ogre's XML mesh CLI
- Package to zip and copy to my app's media directory
- Add the Zip file's path to a to Ogre's resource manager (yes, hardcoded)
- Create the PBS materials i JSON manually
Then when I want to bake a normal map, I have to do that in Blender and save it manually in my app's texture folder..
So I'm interested in hearing about your content pipeline setup, how you've made it as smooth as possible. Please share your experience and inspire with some cool ideas!
Examples of what I'm thinking about to improve/automate:
* Given a path to a media folder, in runtime, scan and discover different media files (meshes, material...) and add them as resources as necessary
* Somehow (if possible) package mesh, textures, normals maps etc. together and export it as a zip to my app
* Watch media files and auto-reload them when changed (perhaps restart the whole app as a cheap way to implement it)
* Find a clever way to live edit material params with instant feedback (either via a in-game GUI, or via an external GUI)