GLES/WebGL roadmap?

Discussion area about developing with Ogre-Next (2.1, 2.2 and beyond)

DarkUranium
Gnoblar

GLES/WebGL roadmap?

Post by DarkUranium »

Hi. I was just wondering if there was a roadmap as to when GLES support can be expected in Ogre Next?
My personal interest is primarily in WebGL, but I would be willing to help with a port from GLES (time permitting, which might change in the future). Or perhaps even with some GLES2 work itself, if I determine that Ogre Next otherwise satisfies my other requirements.

Note that I am not yet familiar with Ogre internals, so I have no idea how much of an undertaking either of the two would be.
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: GLES/WebGL roadmap?

Post by dark_sylinc »

Hi!

I didn't reply earlier because there was a chance I'd be working on EGL (which is related to GLES) but that time hasn't come yet.

There is no ETA. User Hotshot5000 ported Ogre next to GLES a long time ago (this port is old now) but most of the important code has already been ported to GL3+ (by another user) in order to support macOS.

IF GL3+ gets a few tweaks to run in GLES mode, it would need gles 3 (not 2) which afaik is supported by WebGL2.
Although supporting also GLES2 (WebGL) may be possible, it would require a lot of work