Reading a Scene XML file in 2.x (reading a scene file created in blender) Is there a 2.x version of DotScene

Discussion area about developing with Ogre-Next (2.1, 2.2 and beyond)

huntingogre
Gnoblar

Reading a Scene XML file in 2.x (reading a scene file created in blender) Is there a 2.x version of DotScene

Post by huntingogre »

I would like to ask for recommendations for how to read a .scene file.

I have created a .scene XML file with Blender using the OGRE Exporter (also known as blender2ogre)

I am aware of a package called DotScene which is available here: https://github.com/OGRECave/ogre/tree/m ... s/DotScene

But DotScene is part of the 1.x distribution not the 2.x distribution. That package contains the file DotSceneLoader.cpp. I could not find that file in the 2.x distribution

Is anyone aware if the DotScene package has been ported for use with 2.x?

Or is there another or better alternative for reading a scene file with Ogre 2.x

Thank you for you consideration.
Last edited by huntingogre on Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
huntingogre
Gnoblar

Re: Reading a Scene XML file in 2.x (reading a scene file created in blender) Is there a 2.x version of DotScene

Post by huntingogre »

Thank you. If the DotScene port is not anticipated for 2.x...

I'm curious what other approaches might be available for exporting a model from a tool such as blender and getting it into a OGRE application.

I'm generally interested in getting a model that would be made up of numerous meshes exported and then loaded into an OGRE application. The meshes would each have their own location/orientation/scale as well as hierarchical relationship to one another.

How do other folks address this need... Is it all hard coded, or is there some other approach to representing a scene in a file of some format that can be read into an OGRE application.

Thank you
sercero
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Re: Reading a Scene XML file in 2.x (reading a scene file created in blender) Is there a 2.x version of DotScene

Post by sercero »

You can use the DotScene.cpp as a template on how to process the .xml file and incorporate that into your engine.

I did that and mostly it was just copy and pasting the functions into my own loader class.

Then I made some modifications to suit my needs.

You might have to make some changes regarding OGRE v1 vs OGRE v2, but I don't think they are too many.
huntingogre
Gnoblar

Post by huntingogre »

I wanted to raise up this issue again to see if there is any newer advise for how to read a .scene file into OGRE-Next application.