[News] Vulkan Progress Report

News, announcements and important global threads from the Ogre3D Team.
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

[News] Vulkan Progress Report

Post by dark_sylinc »

hedphelym
Gremlin

Re: [News] Vulkan Progress Report

Post by hedphelym »

Exciting news! Thanks for all the hard work you do!

SolarPortal
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by SolarPortal »

yes, well done! looking forward to the end result :)
Lead developer of the Skyline Game Engine: https://aurasoft-skyline.co.uk

xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by xrgo »

yeeeees! Ogre on Oculus Quest =D

longer
Kobold

Post by longer »

This is an important and decisive news for mobile platform developers!

Hotshot5000
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by Hotshot5000 »

Hi dark_sylinc,

I have some time when the artist will work a bit more and me a bit less (I have to wait for him :D ) so I thought of going back to working on Ogre for the next few months (I know, I know, I said I will work on vulkan more than one year ago...).
I cloned the 2.2 git repo (I stayed on mercurial for the current game that I am working on) and saw there was vulkan branch. But the last update was on November 18th. Do you plan on continuing the implementation of vulkan support anytime soon? I might be able to help with this even though I have never used vulkan before (except tutorials and simple stuff...).

So, if you want, I can start understanding what you have done and try to continue, or you can tell me: I will work on this and you can focus on that submodule, give me some hints on what the priorities are etc...

I only have 2-3 hours per day when I can work on this (and some days I won't be able to work on ogre at all), but, even though progress will be slow, at least it will be faster than standing still :D .

dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Hotshot5000 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:50 pm
I only have 2-3 hours per day when I can work on this (and some days I won't be able to work on ogre at all), but, even though progress will be slow, at least it will be faster than standing still :D .
Progress has been stalled, as I'm focusing on other stuff.

But help is always welcome! I'll have to take a look at what was pending again (there was a lot!) to get a better focus.
I also had a quick sample to test the triangle, as I was trying to get shaders working (IIRC that was a success), and then move on to buffers.

Ping me again if I forget.

Hotshot5000
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by Hotshot5000 »

Hit the first roadblock it seems. glslang is built today by Khronos group using Visual Studio 2013 (_MSC_VER == 1800) and I only have VS 2017 (with the VS 2015 toolset so minimum _MSC_VER == 1900).

I built glslang locally but for some reason I get lots of messages like the following when trying to link to the Ogre render system:

Code: Select all

glslangd.lib(ShaderLang.obj) : error LNK2038: mismatch detected for '_MSC_VER': value '1800' doesn't match value '1900' in OgreVulkanWin32Window.obj
Which is very strange since I didn't built it with 1800 since I don't have that compiler on my PC.

According to their documentation glslang should build fine using Visual Studio 2015 but they didn't test with VS 2017. I have raised a ticket with them, let's see how this goes. Looking through their code it seems they are limited to _MSC_VER == 1900.
It also seems to choose and older Windows SDK by default, that might be a cmake configuration problem. I have forced it to use the latest but no dice. I get the same linker errors with the msc ver mismatch.

Worst case scenario I will have to clone their repo and try to make a patch to get it working with at least _MSC_VER == 1900. Bleah....

dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

I only tried Linux while I was developing (it didn't go very far as you have seen) and as you saw the SDK paths were hardcoded.
Thus I don't think I even tried to get a working window in Windows (i.e. swapchain management was for X11).

I too had to build from source, but the SDK they provide was already a copy of their Github repo IIRC, and the 'vulkansdk' script provided a way to build from source.

You can tell CMake which lib to build for via command line. If the same error still persist, then the problem is a more basic one... your VS is just looking for the .lib files in the wrong folder.

Hotshot5000
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by Hotshot5000 »

In the end I had to rebuild the whole google shaderc in order to make it work. Initially I downloaded the VulkanSDK provided by LunarG and tried to get glslang from Khronos Group to work. Only now I realized that shaderc was what I needed. Documentation could seriously be improved with Vulkan libs. I was looking for VulkanSDK repo instead of shaderc.

Now I have a compilable VulkanRenderSystem. Next step is getting Win32VulkanWindow working.

Hotshot5000
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by Hotshot5000 »

A little update. Win32 Vulkan window seems to be created properly. VkSurfaceKHR gets created, swapchain etc. Now I get a crash when setting up depth attachment in VulkanRenderPassDescriptor. I will investigate.

Just an update so that people see that I am still working on this. Progress is slow though as this is the first time I use Vulkan so there is a big learning curve.

libolt
Greenskin

Post by libolt »

This is great to hear. I'm about to port my game from Ogre 2.1 to 2.2 and will be using the GL3PLus renderer for the time being. I look forward to giving the Vulkan renderer a try once it is usable.