[News] OGRE 3D 1.7 Application Development Cookbook

News, announcements and important global threads from the Ogre3D Team.
OgreNewsBot
Your source of official Ogre news

[News] OGRE 3D 1.7 Application Development Cookbook

Post by OgreNewsBot »

We as the OgreTeam are very happy to see yet another Ogre book being published by the open-source friendly online publisher PacktPub:
OGRE 3D 1.7 Application Development Cookbook
Full announcement: http://www.ogre3d.org/2012/05/28/ogre-3 ... t-cookbook
jolice
Gnoblar

Re: [News] OGRE 3D 1.7 Application Development Cookbook

Post by jolice »

Hello ALL,
i would like to ask if there is anybody who already bought this book? I am especially curious about Chapter 4 Let There Be Light and Chapter 5 Playing with Materials.

I am working on my university project, it is about Universal methodology for implementing shader effects into 3D applications . Now i am working on 3D test scene to verify this methodology in practice, so i was wondering if this book could help me little bit with shaders and materials in ogre? whether it worth to buy it even due i am just beginning with ogre?

thanks
m2codeGEN
Halfling

Post by m2codeGEN »

I already bought this book. I can tell that it to me appeared almost useless. But left it for training our team members. The best book is source codes :D
alexdory
Gnoblar

Post by alexdory »

@jolice : I bought it and while it has more snippets of code for creating and manipulating materials , it's not much more than in the ogre wiki .
petrocket
Gremlin

Post by petrocket »

I'm the co-author on this book, though mostly I added meat to the existing recipes. I'd say you can probably find similar tutorials of the material recipes online on various websites including the Ogre wiki. It really just covers some basics on that subject and the only real advanced material recipes cover things like putting video in textures.
Ogre API & Manual | Ogre Wiki

blog | website | work

Follow me on twitter @ twitter.com/petrocket
alexdory
Gnoblar

Post by alexdory »

@petrocket

I read it and I would give you kudos is the system would let me ( gives me invalid kudos ) .
The book is a good addition , I would buy something more advanced . For instance something about creating a custom material shader for the new ogre terrain in 1.8 . Something about texture arrays , optimization or industry-proven-or-used techniques in Ogre . It's hard to get to this information right now .

Thanks
sebarnolds
Greenskin

Post by sebarnolds »

Hi everybody.

The other posts seem to be a bit on the bad side about this book so I though I could chime in and bring a new view about the book. If anyone among you is interested in learning Ogre3d with practical examples, it could be interesting. Especially if you don't really know where to start with the engine.

The title of the book says it all: "cookbook". You won't find lengthy descriptions or useless babbling in this book: it is all about recipes. It is divided in chapters with each of them about a specific subject (initialisation, lights, materials, animations...) with several articles.

This is not a book for total beginners who don't know where to look but for people with decent programming knowledge willing to learn more about Ogre3D. Those people will find in this book great articles that go straigth to the point. Have a look at the table of content (available at http://www.packtpub.com/ogre-3d-1-7-app ... kbook/book) and see if any of the subjects interest you. If it is the case, you'll definitely want to check this.

So, if you already have advanced knowledge of Ogre3D, this will be useless. But if you are learning the engine and don't want to search around the wiki, forums, etc for information, this could be the answer you are looking for. Open the book webpage (see above), check the sample chapters and see for yourself.