[News] Ogre 1.12.11 released

News, announcements and important global threads from the Ogre3D Team.
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

[News] Ogre 1.12.11 released

Post by paroj »

loath
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Re: [News] Ogre 1.12.11 released

Post by loath »

thanks for all the hard work paroj!
Pellaeon
Goblin

Post by Pellaeon »

Thanks for the new release!

One please: SDL 2.0.10 makes problems under Windows with Visual Studio. I changed the dependencies.cmake to use SDL 2.0.12. The newer version works fine. So perhaps you could make this the default version in the dependecies in future releases.

Best regards
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Pellaeon wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:23 am Thanks for the new release!

One please: SDL 2.0.10 makes problems under Windows with Visual Studio. I changed the dependencies.cmake to use SDL 2.0.12. The newer version works fine. So perhaps you could make this the default version in the dependecies in future releases.

Best regards
should just file a bug and send a PR with the fix ;)
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
EricB
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by EricB »

I joked for years about writing a software render for Ogre. (And a pure ASCII terminal renderer.) Looks like you guys beat me to it! Good job! :lol:

Actually, I'm considering upgrading to 1.12.11 to specifically put it into production as one of several options for my users. I'm curious how stable and performant it is. Guess there is only one way to find out! :)
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

EricB wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:59 am I joked for years about writing a software render for Ogre. (And a pure ASCII terminal renderer.) Looks like you guys beat me to it! Good job! :lol:

Actually, I'm considering upgrading to 1.12.11 to specifically put it into production as one of several options for my users. I'm curious how stable and performant it is. Guess there is only one way to find out! :)
As your not heavy in 3D its not such a crazy idea to find out :)
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
EricB
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by EricB »

Zonder wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:53 pm
EricB wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:59 am I joked for years about writing a software render for Ogre. (And a pure ASCII terminal renderer.) Looks like you guys beat me to it! Good job! :lol:

As your not heavy in 3D its not such a crazy idea to find out :)
That's the idea.

About once a month, I run across people who have computer issues for one reason or another who have trouble running my game. The last guy completely borked OpenGL on his system. Even initializing the plugin crashed the game. (Not the first time I ran across that one.) The user before him had Window 7 and an Intel HD 4000 GPU with OEM drivers. Upgrading the drivers allowed him to run the game without problems, but every time he rebooted, the OEM bloatware would overwrite the drivers with 11-year-old OEM versions. If you didn't know, the locked Intel OEM drives from that era crash Ogre...

So software renderer would be a good fallback in my case when I need to support potatoes. "Yeah, you paid me $20 for the software, not for fixing your crappy Windows install. Go into the external settings editor and toggle the "Safe-Mode" option..."

Maybe in the future. It doesn't happen often enough to waste time on it right this second.

(Added benefit, might be able to support some alternative OS's. Haiku, Amegia, etc. That would be interesting.)