[particles] particles emitting particles

What it says on the tin: a place to discuss proposed new features.
suny
Greenskin

[particles] particles emitting particles

Post by suny »

ParticleFX is getting quite good!
One last missing feature which is very common: allowing a particle to emit particles from another emitter.
This is the only way to create smoke or fire trails, good explosions, pixie dust from other particles, and a variety of other effects.

Example:
ParticleSystemA would spawn 10 particles in every direction, with some gravity, displaying a flare billboard.
At each frame, ParticleSystemFire would spawn almost static fire particles at the position of each particle of ParticleSystemA. The result would be a fire trail looking like a parabola.
ideally, a third emitter ParticleSystemSmoke, would also spawn particles at each ParticleSystemA position with a smoke texture.

Or is there a way to do it programmatically in Ogre?
S.
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: [particles] particles emitting particles

Post by paroj »

you mean like the fireworks sample:
suny
Greenskin

Post by suny »

If I understand correctly, the fireworks sample starts an emitter at the death of a particle.
In order to create trails/plumes, you need to spawn particles during the life/update of the parent particle.

If you wanted to do a real firework sample, you'll need to be able to create a rocker trail:
-the rocket ( particle) moves to the top, and during its life, spawn other particles each frame at its position (the rocket trail)
-when the rocket particle dies, it starts the firework explosions: a lot of particles going in each direction (this part you can do with the current particleFX)
-each one of those particles could spawn other particles during its life to create a trail

A picture to illustrate:
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by paroj »

thanks! that makes the difference clear.

Yes, this feature is currently missing. You could manually create an emitter and update its position based on the position of a specific particle in a frameStarted listener.
This is not convenient though. I will have to look what is needed to make this work easily.

You should probably create an issue for this on github, so it does not get lost.
al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by al2950 »

Its been a while, but I have a vague memory that the particle universe plugin has this feature?
https://wiki.ogre3d.org/Particle+Universe+plugin
suny
Greenskin

Post by suny »

Code: Select all

Its been a while, but I have a vague memory that the particle universe plugin has this feature?
Yes it does!

But I'm using particleFX for my project, and the only big missing feature us this one in my opinion.
For a while I was using the 2 engines, but I decided to stop using Particle Universe for several reasons.
S.