OgreIK IK working in Ogre and exporters exportingthe IK info

What it says on the tin: a place to discuss proposed new features.
Lee04
Minaton

OgreIK IK working in Ogre and exporters exportingthe IK info

Post by Lee04 »

Hi

Reading about the IK sampler thats perhaps is going to be a part of the XSI exporter. It struck me that thats good but I would also see it possible to just have the IK info exported so we can have a real working IK inside Ogre. A OgreIK ?

For better foot placement on ground. looking, pointing etc....
Then the sampling could be done indise Ogre from IK to justs key frames.

Well just a idea.

Lee04
Last edited by Lee04 on Sun May 08, 2005 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wooden
Halfling

Post by Wooden »

yes, that's really something i'd like to see in ogre
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

Isn't there some open source IK lib already that could be hooked into Ogre? It's kind of tricky stuff, and the astonishing complexity and amount of diffent methods of IK warrants it's own library.
ahmedali
Gnome

Post by ahmedali »

A time ago i did lot of reSearch on IKs. I remember 4 sources now.

1- discreet has made their LimbIK solver opensource. It can be found in maxsdk. But I think, it is also available through their developer website. Limb solver is an analytical solver and can only solve IK for 2or3 bones. It is faster than iterative aproach. Limb solver can be used for Arms, Legs IK most of the stuff a gamedeveloper will want.

2- MagicSoftware in their huge archive, has a complete working Iterative IK solver. It also has a demo. I tried porting its code but the complicated math was above my had.

3- There is a tutorial and demo/source by LuckVB on net of an Analytic IK solver

4- There is also a source/demo on ( gamasutra or gdmag or darwin ? i cant remember ) in thier archive

Spine/Spline IK is also interesting and easy to impletent than others (i guess).
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

Well, as ogre already supports manual control of bones, what's the biggest problem in hooking one of those libs? I think two/three bones is generally enough to put feet on the ground and do pointing.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

This isn't going to make it onto the TODO in the near future. As wumpus says, if you really need to do IK (and I doubt you really do), you can use an external library and manually adjust the bones. Or, if you're more pragmatic, you can use a feedback controller as has been discussed in this forum already. If you're just adjusting characters feet to a surface or other such small refinements, full IK is way over the top.
Lee04
Minaton

My point

Post by Lee04 »

My point was mostlly thaat it's good if the exporters can exports the properties for the IK even if a external source for IK is used.
However it would be neat if Ogre had IK as well of course.

/Lee04
ahmedali
Gnome

Post by ahmedali »

I cant help to implement ik but a LOT of IK techniques can be faked with ogre's blending system. These techniques i think are also used by Mechworrior. The are not using IK to keep their feet on the ground and to align their paws to slope of ground but use mixing of diffirent states of different body parts to achieve dynamic behaviour.

Also in my side scroller demo game X2, I also used this technique to keep feets and leg aligned with the slope of ground.

http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... highlight=