[assaframan patch] OpenGL Multithreading

What it says on the tin: a place to discuss proposed new features.
n9ine
Halfling

[assaframan patch] OpenGL Multithreading

Post by n9ine »

hi all;

I am interested in multithread background loading with ogre, this is very nice thing.
But the problem is that is it only working on DiretcX ,since OpenGL Multithread Support is not yet released.
I found that assaframan has commited ,under 8323 revision, a stable version of the Ogre OpenGL RenderSystem.
I am working with the latest version of Ogre '1.6.2' and I want integrate assaframan work.
How can I do it in a better way than manually?
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Re: [assaframan patch] OpenGL Multithreading

Post by xavier »

You do it manually.

I assume that rev 8323 was made to trunk -- trunk is unstable by definition and rarely (if ever) are changes merged from trunk into branches (it's only the other way around). The patch is provided so that you can apply it yourself ("at your own risk" in other words) to a branch, but it's not something the Ogre team will do or support.
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Re: [assaframan patch] OpenGL Multithreading

Post by sinbad »

8323 was made to trunk , because it was countering an issue related to another change in trunk.

Last time I tried, 1.6 worked fine in multiple threads with GL. In fact, the whole 'RenderSystem::registerThread' procedure was in place solely to keep GL happy in a multithreaded situation; DirectX doesn't need it.