Render To Texture in script.

What it says on the tin: a place to discuss proposed new features.
Chunks
Gnoblar

Render To Texture in script.

Post by Chunks » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:59 pm

Unless I've missed my mark (which is always quite possible), there's no way, other than code modification, to render to texture. You can't do it in a .material script, but you can do it in a .compositor... but you can't activate that .compositor anywhere but in code. This seems not right.

I'm trying to write shaders for the rest of the art team, and I'm more or less the technical artist where I work. I don't really have access to the code for our engine, and I might be a little lost even if I did since my programming experience is still a little less than I'd need to feel confident about poking through the engine. However, from what I can see, the .material scripts and .compositor scripts seem to collectively be the analog of the *FX portion of CgFX and HLSL FX. Both of those languages allow for the creation and composition of render targets, effectively in script, but this feature is stunningly lacking in Ogre. I don't understand the restriction to code modification for this feature.

If I'm incorrect on my assessment, please tell me (and you can even do so in the bluntest of fashions) and I'll take my whiny self elsewhere. I'm I'm right though, can I have this please at some point in the future?
0 x