how about a FULL unicode build with Visual Studio on Windows

What it says on the tin: a place to discuss proposed new features.
Steve3d
Gnoblar

how about a FULL unicode build with Visual Studio on Windows

Post by Steve3d »

I have tried to use unicode to build all depencecies to try to build a unicode version of OGRE( using 0.14), but I failed, the DevIL can build a unicode version without any problem, but if I build a unicode version of OGRE, things are going wrong, OGRE can not be build.

I think unicode is a important key to internationalize a application. So I just want to know if the next or future version can be build with unicode. ;)
coldacid
Gnoblar

Post by coldacid »

I know that this is an act of necromancy, but I'm worried about i18n issues too regarding building OGRE (0.15.1 this time) with DBCS settings. (That is, the aforementioned UNICODE define.) Has anyone attempted this?
Christopher S. 'coldacid' Charabaruk <chrisc'at'meldstar"dot"com>
Meldstar Entertainment - Creation3
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

I'm afraid I have zero experience in internationalisation (except for some experience with Unicode in Java, but that doesn't really count since everything is Unicode there). With C++ I've never tried it, and to be honest it hasn't been on my 'hot list' although I can understand why it is for someone.

I'd appreciate some tips on how to make Ogre simple to internationalise from those who have done this before.
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

You don't need to rebuild OGRE for unicode at all. Just say 'all my strings are in UTF8', and wham, there's your OGRE unicode support.. There's nothing in OGRE that needs to change.

CEGUI would need to be changed to parse and display unicode characters though. I don't know how far CE is with this.

But the fact remains, unicode is only a user interface issue as long as internal string handling is 8 bit clean (which it is with C++). So, rebuilding your image library to use unicode is debatable :) Freetype is a different thing possibly as access is needed to the unicode mappings inside the fonts.
Banania
Gremlin

Post by Banania »

CEGUI would need to be changed to parse and display unicode characters though. I don't know how far CE is with this.
There is nothing to be changed with CEGUI. CE already uses utf8 encoded strings for text display. There would be some work to do for utf16 or utf32 support though.
Banania
CrazyEddie
Goblin

Post by CrazyEddie »

Just to come in and state the "official" word on this ;)

CEGUI can correctly display any unicode glyph, so long as your source .ttf file supports it, or if you provide an appropriate mapping in your static / bitmap font.

Getting the text into CEGUI can be done directly via source files, encoded as utf-8, and using the (utf8*) cast. Or from your xml layout files, which should automagically transcode from whichever format the xml file is, into something that CEGUI expects. Lastly, providing your input library properly provides character codes for the full range of chars you need, these can be injected into CEGUI as utf-32 codes.

The work that is still to be done revolves around true internationalisation (with regards to sorting and the 'class' of certain code-points), and also with respect to codepoint sequences that translate into single glyphs. Finally, the font renderer currently only supports left to right rendering, so I have to add right to left and possibly vertical rendering support there.

Basically, the basis for full Unicode support is there (which was the goal I needed to achieve at this early stage), and the rest can be fleshed out at a later time. But if you're just looking to display some basic Chinese glyphs or something else that's fairly simple, that can all be done now.

CE.
baxissimo
Greenskin

Good to hear it

Post by baxissimo »

That's good to hear. I was wondering about this myself as I was looking over the docs and samples for Ogre/Crazy Eddies.

I tried typing some Japanese into the Ogre GUI sample, and it failed. So I think there's still some work needed there. But it's good to hear that at least it can (in theory) display the glyphs. There don't seem to be any samples that demonstrate this with Ogre, however. Does CrazyEddie's have such an example? If not, how do you know for sure that CrazyEddie's really is capable of displaying unicode characters?
SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by SpannerMan »

Take a look at the Crazy Eddie forums for more information about uni code in the GUI.

In the Crazy Eddie gallery section you can see a screenshot of Chinese been rendered as an example.
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

Makes me wonder what it says in Chinese, or are those just random glyphs? :-)
CrazyEddie
Goblin

Post by CrazyEddie »

:wumpus: wrote:Makes me wonder what it says in Chinese, or are those just random glyphs? :-)
Oi! Course it's not random, I painstakingly did those translations to the best of my ability :)

Window Title: "Hello World!"
Button: "End Demonstration"

The framerate panel text should be roughly what they are in english.