GUI Editor

What it says on the tin: a place to discuss proposed new features.
steel999
Gnoblar

GUI Editor

Post by steel999 »

I don't know if someone already suggested it, but what about making a Graphical User Interface which the person uses to create their game. Or maybe only parts of the game which are then exported as code which the game maker can then tweek/add it to their projects. or does something like this exist somewhere?
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: GUI Editor

Post by spacegaier »

Do you mean an editor to create GUIs or a graphical tool to create 3D scenes?

Either way such tools exist, e.g. the editor for CEGUI (to create skins/layouts for CEGUI) or e.g. Ogitor as one of the tools you can use to create 3D scenes with Ogre. But there are many more...a forum or google search would definitely help ;) .
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
steel999
Gnoblar

Post by steel999 »

Tried googleing, came up with a lot of unrelated stuff. I'm looking for a GUI for developers to easily access at least the basice functionality of OGRE in an easy to use way (for speed and people who are new to OGRE).
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

I still did not get what you are looking for. You know that Ogre is a rendering engine right? How do you want to access it via a GUI?
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

You might want to take a look at NeoAxis. It's basically Ogre with a gui development environment.
runfrodorun
Gremlin

Post by runfrodorun »

I could almost see a GUI Scene Editor being useful...I know there are a few for ogre out there, but most (or all) are in beta stages, and I think a lot more could be done by people who are most familiar with the Ogre system...as far as code, I don't know what could be accomplished with a GUI IDE that couldn't be done with eclipse. I usually just use MSYS and VIM as my loyal dev environment, but occasionally I load up eclipse because intellisense can sometimes help me work through problems quicker then looking up every single function call on the wiki. Other then that, IDE's usually slow me up rather then help.
Sass not tolerated
LAY DOWN THE LAW!
When I don't understand a problem, I punch it in the face and try again.
Mind Calamity
Ogre Magi

Post by Mind Calamity »

steel999 wrote:Tried googleing, came up with a lot of unrelated stuff. I'm looking for a GUI for developers to easily access at least the basice functionality of OGRE in an easy to use way (for speed and people who are new to OGRE).
I really think you are making a mistake, the mistake many people make when coming to OGRE... OGRE isn't a game engine (Object-Oriented Graphics Rendering Engine - OGRE), it's only a graphics engine, not a game engine... A game engine is a "package" which contains a lot more libraries than 1. OGRE is a library for rendering graphics, and that's it's only purpose, to make a game with OGRE, you're going to need to know programming, no matter whether you like it or not, if you want the easy way, use UDK/Unity/NeoAxis, or if you know programming, make one yourself, including the tools you need to fit your needs.
BitBucket username changed to iboshkov (from MindCalamity)
Do you need help? What have you tried?
- xavier
---------------------
HkOgre - a Havok Integration for OGRE | Simple SSAO | My Blog | My YouTube | My DeviantArt