Mayhaps changing the way its packaged?

What it says on the tin: a place to discuss proposed new features.
WanabeCoder
Kobold

Mayhaps changing the way its packaged?

Post by WanabeCoder »

Instead of having "THE ENGINE", you could have "the engine".
I apologize for my blatant stupidity and will expand on ^
>.>

Ok.. right now.. the ogre engine.. is very.. big. We need to recompile it ourselves after all. Could you make it.. so that .. the engine itself IS compiled.. but the compiled engine reads other files.. (of whatever extension.. be it .onoes) (preferably a file that could be read in NOTEPAD)

So for example.. your engine would basically be the same.. only we wouldnt need to compile it. You could already have a compiled file that just calls the .ONOEs or whatever files.. reads them.. and.. builds itself? Meh.. I suck at explaining.. but do you see what Im trying to say?

The reason I ask this is because it would make the whole process of "coding" into "scripting". It would make it easier on everyone (especially the noobs :d (me)) I dont really see any problems that could occur by you doing that.. but then again.. Im only 15.

K heres an example..

Code: Select all

The engines .exe (which you could rename to be the name of your app, or whatever.. (the final .exe would be compiled with the OGRE engines .exe.. so you would need a backup if creating multiple files)) is located here (sorry for teh brackets.. woot for math)
C:\OGRE3D\

Then.. its .dll files (the ones it needs to run.. that we dont edit (like the stlport stuff for example)
C:\OGRE3D\Data\Dll

Erm.. its include files..? (Dont know if you could put this in the .exe and still make it as customizable as it already is)
C:\OGRE3D\Data\Include

Then.. like.. the meshes
C:\OGRE3D\Mesh

Then whatever scripts it currently uses (such as rotating scripts etc.. hell.. you can make it execute every file of a certain extension in the directory)
C:\OGRE3D\Files

So like.. in dos.. C:\OGRE3D\Files\*.exe (you see what I mean?)

Or better yet.. make the .exe execute a file that has a list of what to execute (not sure how you would do this, but in tribes they made a function called exec.. params were simply the file.. made it REALLY easy to add custom files)
I hope you see what I mean.. because doing this would make the engine soo much simpler..
Last edited by WanabeCoder on Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by monster »

ogre is a source distribution of a c++ graphics engine, if you can't compile it you probably don't have the necessary skillz (sic) to use it, a precompiled binary distribution may appear after to 1.0 release
temas
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by temas »

For 1.0 there will be precompiled binaries and a "SDK" to build your own apps with.

I think you want something else though, it seems you want most of the engine to be scripted or darn near it. That's a non trivial feat, especially to keep it high speed.
WanabeCoder
Kobold

Post by WanabeCoder »

Like I said, Im fairly new to C++.. I only know the basic syntax.. aka switch statments, loops, functions.. etc. If I had a visible LIST of the existing functions.. I could code on it much more efficiently, as Im sure a lot of others can. Like.. in ALL the files in the existing ogre engine.. I have no idea which are included automatically and which we have to select. Its quite disorganized..
WanabeCoder
Kobold

Post by WanabeCoder »

temas wrote:For 1.0 there will be precompiled binaries and a "SDK" to build your own apps with.

I think you want something else though, it seems you want most of the engine to be scripted or darn near it. That's a non trivial feat, especially to keep it high speed.
Well.. no.. you wouldnt have to script the whole engine.. you would just have to add some more functions and redefine the way it executes.. like.. the compiled version would just load up all of whatever is needed.. so we wouldnt have to recompile it.. we would just have to edit the files that are beign loaded.
temas
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by temas »

Well I'd suggest playing with pyogre and see if that's closer to what you're looking for, but waiting for 1.0 might be the best bet.
WanabeCoder
Kobold

Post by WanabeCoder »

Okedoke! Currently, the only games Im making are vb.net games.
(ugh, shame)
(text based rpg's too!)
monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by monster »

ogre is very very well designed and not disorganised at all, here is a list of all class members with links to the class documentation for each member http://www.ogre3d.org/docs/api/html/functions.html but that's not the best way of viewing the documentation
Lodes
Google Summer of Code Student
Google Summer of Code Student

Post by Lodes »

WanabeCoder:

I am not really sure what you mean but you can have a list of all the functions by looking at the API documentation for example.

I think your problem though is that you are very confused as to how a large program works and might not even have enough programming experience/knowledge in order to understand what is going on even on a smaller scale. I don't mean any disrespect but Ogre is a complex engine, and I seriously think that right now, you are biting more than you can chew.

I think what is really holding you back is your lack of programming/C++ knowledge. If you were more knowledgeable you could probably take a bite at the Ogre (beaware he can be mean :P ). Trying to learn C++ while using/learning Ogre can really be a recipe for disaster as you get frustrated for not being able to achieve anything concrete.
WanabeCoder
Kobold

Post by WanabeCoder »

Well.. yeah.. I learned c++ by editing tribes 1 script files, seeing what happened.. and so forth.. but I cant do that with ogre! Because I cant find a finished open-sourced, compiled.. easily-editable engine :(
(engine based of ogre that is.. I think the ogre engine is by far the best Ive seen (other than teh obvious commercial ones)
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

I get the impression you are expecting Ogre to be something it isn't. What for do you need it to be easily editable if you just want to use it?
And learning C++ by editing some script files is definitly not the way to go. ;)
C++ is a rather static compiled language. This as much a boon as it is a bane in many regards. It is fast. With todays compilers not even hand coding assembler will result in faster code. Many errors are caught by the compiler.
Debugging scripts is a tedious job. If you mistype a variable name in C++, the compiler complains you see it, correct it. done. If you mistype a variable name in say Ruby, you just introduced a new variable, you didn't expect. Your program runs. It might even do something, but most probably not what you wanted it to do.
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht
leedgitar
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by leedgitar »

WanabeCoder wrote:Okedoke! Currently, the only games Im making are vb.net games.
(ugh, shame)
Well, I can see the shame in the VB part of it... :wink:
johnhpus
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Post by johnhpus »

This thread is old and I suppose the original poster is long gone .... But if he / she should happen to read this post then what you need is called Dark Basic. It's very easy to learn and following the simple tutorials you can quickly set up a 3d scene to play with. If I remember correctly there is both a free and commercial version. A while back it was reviewed in Game Developer and was recomended to even experienced programmers as a way to "rapidly prototype" a game concept.

http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/

John
Robomaniac
Hobgoblin

Post by Robomaniac »

the! not teh :P

j/k

Perhaps you should start a bit simpler then just jumping right into game/graphics programming, as it is oneo fthe hardest fields to program in
phear hingo

My Webpage