More Tutorials?

What it says on the tin: a place to discuss proposed new features.

Would you like to see more numerous in-depth Ogre tutorials?

Yes it would!
93%
No, not really
3%
Don't care.
4%

Total votes: 71

Gaffeghan
Greenskin

More Tutorials?

Post by Gaffeghan »

I'm just gonna ask this question out of pure curiousity: would users of OGRE like to see more tutorials for OGRE? Like how to build an application using OGRE from the ground up (excluding ExampleApplication)? I know I certainly would, but I'm not really in a position to make such a large request of the good people who develope OGRE, nor the community that uses it. Thank you to every body who responds to this poll.
Any one who responds "yes", give a reply suggesting a tutorial you'd like to see.
Not required, I'd just like to see some ideas, and I'm sure others would too.
Last edited by Gaffeghan on Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnhpus
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Post by johnhpus »

This is sort of a silly question. I don't think that anyone would say that they don't want new tutorials. Maybe you could use this thread to gather a list of ideas for tutorials and hope that Ogre users decide to write some of them.

John
Gaffeghan
Greenskin

Post by Gaffeghan »

johnhpus wrote:This is sort of a silly question....

Yes! it is, but I figure a rediculous poll could further press the issue. :wink:
Anyone, please do post suggestions for new tutorials.

[edit] monster brings up a good point below, I myself am unable to write tutorials (at least not yet) for I am still looking for more tutorials. (call me what you will, but I'm still much of a newb.
Last edited by Gaffeghan on Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by monster »

Gaffeghan wrote:...please do post suggestions for new tutorials.
Does that mean you're volunteering to write them?
Great, I'm sure they'll be very much appreciated!
;)
alphageek
Gnome

Post by alphageek »

I voted no, because if I had the choice of the developers:
a) writing tutorials, or
b) coding new features

I would choose (b) every time.

Ogre is a very well designed library, with good documentation, a good wiki, and a very strong and helpful community. Furthermore, I believe the target audience should be >= intermediate developers. So, I don't think Ogre needs a large number of tutorials.

However, luckily there is a third choice:
c) developers code new features, community writes tutorials
Axiomatic: action-packed space shooter
TaskScheduler 0.3
Robomaniac
Hobgoblin

Post by Robomaniac »

I started writing tutorials like these, and i'll make the next one soon :)

Search for
Ogre AND Newbie's AND Tutorials

in the search bar
phear hingo

My Webpage
temas
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by temas »

Didn't really want this in Back to Basics, so it's in Feature Requests. Now, on topic, after 1.0 I really hope we can see an explosion of work on the less directly code projects. That includes docs, tuts, tools, etc.
Gaffeghan
Greenskin

Post by Gaffeghan »

Thanks Temas, I wasn't sure where to post this thread, so again, thanks for correcting my placement.

Thanks robomaniac, I searched google for ogre tutorials and got less than 50 results, most of which they edited out because of repeats. Good to know there are some people working really hard on tutorials for the less versed in OGRE.
Clay
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Clay »

How about this though. I know robotmaniac has tutuorials up (kudos by the way, it takes a lot of time and detication to do that), but they are on his personal site, and most people don't know about them. How about we all try to update the wiki with information we have learned through asking questions on the forum? If everything is all in one place it might help with the massive amount of newbie questions that everyone has to ask to learn.

I'll lead by example. I'm working on an animation, movement, and rotation explination that I hope to put on the wiki by late tonight.
Clay
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Clay »

I say this, but then I grossly understimate how long it takes to write a tutorial. :D

I finished the code for it tonight, lets shoot for a friday/saturday-ish release for the actual tutorial.
bana
Greenskin

Post by bana »

Cool, can't wait to see this tut come out :)

I also want to lead by example and am planning (I know I know planning = never a lot of times but hey) to write a tutorial in getting started with linux development of Ogre and Ode with full IDE (or vim depending on mood).
A proud member of the OpenFrag Coding Team.
http://coolhands.blogspot.com/
Clay
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Clay »

Well thanks to a (hopefully) short bout of insomnia, that tutorial is on the wiki http://ogrewiki.digitalsentience.com/in ... Tutorial_1. Now lets see if I fare so well at my research meeting in the morning.
Robomaniac
Hobgoblin

Post by Robomaniac »

IO'm gonna go through the process of adding these tutorials to the wiki sometime this week, but no promises, i have a term paper to write :)
phear hingo

My Webpage
Gaffeghan
Greenskin

Post by Gaffeghan »

you two rock! 8)

gl with the term paper dude.
Clay
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Clay »

Next up: A full on mouse selection and RaySceneQuery tutorial!
betterhere
Gnoblar

Post by betterhere »

monster wrote:
Gaffeghan wrote:...please do post suggestions for new tutorials.
Does that mean you're volunteering to write them?
Great, I'm sure they'll be very much appreciated!
;)
I think that everyone who uses OGRE with success can be asked to submit some sort of tutorial demonstrating a part of OGRE that they use. There are what 1,000 active OGRE coders? If even 10% submitted a tutorial we would be in great shape! I believe its people like me who don't know OGRE yet and who learn something new are the ones with the ability to write the tutorial best, since its fresh in the mind and we won't skip ahead on concepts. Of course a more veteran member should edit the tutorial first if its a newbie like me who is writing.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

betterhere wrote: I believe its people like me who don't know OGRE yet and who learn something new are the ones with the ability to write the tutorial best, since its fresh in the mind and we won't skip ahead on concepts. Of course a more veteran member should edit the tutorial first if its a newbie like me who is writing.
I couldn't agree more. Luckily the wiki has made it easier for people to contribute and refine tutorials and the like, so this is improving.
Clay
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Clay »

I'm working on something now you will like...

In about a week and a half I'm going to do a MAJOR update to the wiki and tutorials there. Stay tuned. =)
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Thanks Clay, you're a tutorial god :)
dorvo
Halfling

Post by dorvo »

For the past few weeks, I've been working on and off with a simple WayPoint manager (which is derived from the tutorial to make the robot walk between points), that I could probably turn into an intermediate tutorial.