Add documentation for the currentGLContext parameter

What it says on the tin: a place to discuss proposed new features.
RandomCitizen
Kobold

Add documentation for the currentGLContext parameter

Post by RandomCitizen »

When I take a look at the Source Code of Ogre, the miscParameter `currentGLContext` does exist and is used.

But it isn't even mentioned in the api documentation.

I think especially the following Question should be answered by the documentation:
  • When should I use `currentGLContext` and when `externalGLControl`
  • If one of those is set, is it necessary to provide the gl context or the window handle in another parameter to the newly created window?
  • What is the effect on other window specific methods, like setting a viewport?
  • How does using it changes how one should implement the mainloop?
  • What are the usage differences between different platforms?
  • what if the window library changes it's glContext (for example because of changing the resolution)
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Add documentation for the currentGLContext parameter

Post by spacegaier »

Will be covered as part of this ticket: https://ogre3d.atlassian.net/browse/OGRE-31
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
RandomCitizen
Kobold

Post by RandomCitizen »

spacegaier wrote:Will be covered as part of this ticket: https://ogre3d.atlassian.net/browse/OGRE-31
Nice! Thank you for providing a link :D
dermont
Bugbear

Post by dermont »

RandomCitizen wrote:When I take a look at the Source Code of Ogre, the miscParameter `currentGLContext` does exist and is used.

But it isn't even mentioned in the api documentation.

I think especially the following Question should be answered by the documentation:
  • When should I use `currentGLContext` and when `externalGLControl`
  • If one of those is set, is it necessary to provide the gl context or the window handle in another parameter to the newly created window?
  • What is the effect on other window specific methods, like setting a viewport?
  • How does using it changes how one should implement the mainloop?
  • What are the usage differences between different platforms?
  • what if the window library changes it's glContext (for example because of changing the resolution)
Most of your questions should answered in the following thread. It's written 5 years ago but the GLX rendersystem hasn't really changed since then.
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39933

The currentGLContext parameter was documented in the API for 1.7, probably just an oversight it was removed.
masterfalcon
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by masterfalcon »

I just looked in the 1.7 source and I don't see it documented. Do you have a link for the header that had the docs?
dermont
Bugbear

Post by dermont »

masterfalcon wrote:I just looked in the 1.7 source and I don't see it documented. Do you have a link for the header that had the docs?
Sorry I don't it looks as if it has never been documented. I'm not sure why I remember it as being part of the api.