Dynamic cloth

What it says on the tin: a place to discuss proposed new features.
SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by SpannerMan »

Or since this is OGRE, how about a cave, with different caverns? Ogres live in caves, dont they? Or is it a hut in the forest (ala Shrek). Maybe it could be themed around ogre type stuff.
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

Yeah, a long corridor is a bit boring; a cave or dungeon would be more fun imo

We'd need someone to create the level though :) Preferably in blender or some program we all can use.
Cyberdigitus
Halfling

Post by Cyberdigitus »

There has been some discussion on this in this thread some time ago. Look for my second response to see my view on it, indeed some kind of Ogre themed minigame.

Let me quote what Sinbad said in that thread, replace toolchain with demo(game):
Guys, I don't think anyone disagrees that a slicker, artist-oriented toolchain is needed.[...] What we need is less people asking, and more people doing.[...] Less talk, more action.
So let's get this thing started, damnit! Is there some place on it's own to discuss this and start organiszing? Maybe somewhere on the wiki?

The way i see it now, is that there are two routes that would work very well for some extended demo, not as alternatives, but both adressing different things:

one is such a mini game, a community effort in programming, design and art. This would be a complete game, which is manageble since it could be level based, with one or two levels for starters, or some dynamic level creation.

The second would be a series of tech demo's, but much more evolved ones then the current, showing every aspect of a given feature. These would have all options that apply to that feature, trough some well designed and consistent gui. In this i think debug visualisation of what is happening is also a big plus. So these demo's could be standalone, or come together trough some browser

The game demo would be one big show off, concentrating a lot on art. I know, this is a programmers community mainly, but with ogre getting lot's of attention, i'm sure we can attract people from other communities like cgTalk, and there are many creative programmers, or programming artists here. let's face it, all the tech only really shows with great art, this is the selling point and differentiation of games nowadays. So this game would be more targeted at artists and game designers, showing ogre in it's full glory which might help to get it recognised at the bigger companies.

The second series of techdemo's on the other hand would more accentute specific Ogre capabilities, and be more targeted at developers, something i think of might be great is to add integrated help system for that feature into the gui, as some kind of live api and usage tutorial.
. . .
Bren
Goblin

Post by Bren »

Valve's Source, NDL's NetImmerse (now Gamebryo) and Intrinsic Alchemy all used some kind of hallways/rooms thingy to demonstrate different effects. Definitely a cool way to do stuff.
monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by monster »

Bren wrote:Valve's Source, NDL's NetImmerse (now Gamebryo) and Intrinsic Alchemy all used some kind of hallways/rooms thingy to demonstrate different effects. Definitely a cool way to do stuff.
Or alternatively; Valve's Source, NDL's NetImmerse (now Gamebryo) and Intrinsic Alchemy all used some kind of hallways/rooms thingy to demonstrate different effects. So why not do something completely different?

Maybe, I dunno, a big factory (lots of clunking machinery, steam, molten metal, etc) churning out huge crates, and each crate has a different demo inside it?

Or a lovely bright sunlit orchard with different shimmering ponds in it (think; the windmill bit of Ico) - dive into a pool and there's a demo in it.

But, yeah, art's the big problem maybe we could (*gasp*) pay for it? I'd certainly be willing to donate to that cause.
pjcast
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by pjcast »

I agree with monster.. We could be more creative than just a hallway/cave like thing...

Maybe something like a carnival scene... Or circus, where you can view different shows in different tents ;)
The carnival itself could have lots of stuff going on, moving rides, lots of ninga's and robot's (hehe)... Well, maybe not ninga;s and robots...
There could be a shooting booth, where we wouldn't shoot an ordinary bb gun, but a flame thrower maybe :)

And a water dunking tank.. where you aim at a target and drop the Ogre head in dynamic water...

Ah, maybe a carnival is a dumb idea, but, something other than a cave would be funner :)
Have a question about Input? Video? WGE? Come on over... http://www.wreckedgames.com/forum/
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

Very nice ideas for the future, but I guess we'll start by just merging the current demos together in the aforementioned way.

Later on people can submit better scenes/environments (something sea-themed, like a rainy and haunted coastal village, would fit nice into the Lovecraftian theme with Azathoth, Dagon, etc), as we know the Ogre community by now, extremely active with submitting code and bugfixes but art takes a long while :)