Princples of Ogre -- Design flaw ?

What it says on the tin: a place to discuss proposed new features.
paul424
Gnome

Princples of Ogre -- Design flaw ?

Post by paul424 »

Recently I was starting writing simple demos , and I can see how things would be easier to have procedural shapes and meshes generated ...
Instead only recently there appeared addon -- Procedural Geometry ..... and still it's not a part of the addon ?
Why procedural 3D algorithms weren't put at the very heart of Ogre3D at the bare beggining ? Things would be much easier !!!
c6burns
Beholder

Re: Princples of Ogre -- Design flaw ?

Post by c6burns »

How is it a design flaw? Whether you are generating procedural meshes or loading them from DCC tools, they still need to be structured in a uniform manner in order to be rendered by the render system (whichever graphics API that happens to be). Those underlying structures (hardware buffers, etc) are core concepts. Procedural algorithms are not core to rendering.
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

paul424 wrote:Recently I was starting writing simple demos , and I can see how things would be easier to have procedural shapes and meshes generated ...
Instead only recently there appeared addon -- Procedural Geometry ..... and still it's not a part of the addon ?
Why procedural 3D algorithms weren't put at the very heart of Ogre3D at the bare beggining ? Things would be much easier !!!

You might want to look at Ogre Procedural, which is a plugin for this specific purpose. Ogre itself is only about rendering.
c6burns
Beholder

Post by c6burns »

I was assuming when he says "Procedural Geometry" he means "Ogre Procedural". But who knows :)
paul424
Gnome

Post by paul424 »

"I was assuming when he says "Procedural Geometry" he means "Ogre Procedural". But who knows :)"

Well that really sounded like quote from one Pulp fiction 's character.
You know good .
I will come in here for help writing 3D rubic's cube toy with Ogre3d :P
see you :)
Transporter
Minaton

Post by Transporter »

Indeed, this is a strange topic. There is no common way to include procedural code in ogre main, because everybody needs different things to be generated. You could use Ogre Procedural (see signature), but you have to feed the mesh generators with your shapes and/or numeric parameters. We don't have a second sight to know which shapes you like to use in your next project.