Organization of Downloads section on web

What it says on the tin: a place to discuss proposed new features.
baxissimo
Greenskin

Organization of Downloads section on web

Post by baxissimo »

Hey I was just trying to evaluate Ogre3D, but I found that locating the source and/or binaries for the core engine was quite confusing.

If you click on the downloads button under Engine on the main ogre3d web site menu, it takes you here, where you're presented with a list of alternatives none of which say what I was expecting which was something along the lines of a link like Download Ogre V1.0RC Source (.zip 24MB)

Instead you have to dig down two levels (from the fourth entry in the list!) to find it. It's just odd that the main 'product' of Ogre3d.org is buried so far down. Direct links to the source and precompiled binaries of the core engine should be put right there at the top level of the download page.
monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by monster »

Direct links to the source and precompiled binaries of the core engine should be put right there at the top level of the download page.
I believe a precompiled SDK release will be made available after 1.0.0 is finalised.

And I also believe that the website is currently undergoing a bit of an overhaul.

(but, for the record, most people seem to manage to find the download OK ;) )
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Yep, I also think it will change soon, with the new web and the final 1.0.0 release :D (I'm dying to try it -- yes, I'm already using the beta, but a final full SDK release will be great!)
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

I agree; getting the download you want requires unnessecary clicking. This will surely be fixed with the new site layout.