Unify mouse input

What it says on the tin: a place to discuss proposed new features.
Clay
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Unify mouse input

Post by Clay »

While working on the next tutorial, I ran into this. The MouseMotionListener callbacks use the old 0, 1, 2... button IDs instead of button masks:

Code: Select all

if ( e->getButtonID() == 0 )
So does the InputReader using unbuffered input:

if ( mInputDevice->getMouseButton( 0 ) )
But the MouseListener uses button masks for the same function:

if ( e->getButtonID() & MouseEvent::BUTTON0_MASK )
This is very inconsistant, and it causes a huge problem if you try to do something if both mouse buttons are held down. However, any changes to it now will break source compatibility with anyone using Ogre input.

---

Also, could you consider changing these:

virtual void mouseClicked(MouseEvent* e) = 0;
		virtual void mouseEntered(MouseEvent* e) = 0;
		virtual void mouseExited(MouseEvent* e) = 0;
and maybe just all of the MouseListener and MouseMotionListener methods to be not pure-virtual? I end up with a lot of code that simply turns them off. This second suggestion would not break source compatability.

Edit: Alternatively, would you accept a patch to fix this to make everything work with button masks? I'm hesitiant to get started on it since I'm not sure it would be accepted (breaking source compatibility after 1.0.0 and all).
Clay
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Re: Unify mouse input

Post by Clay »

Clay wrote:While working on the next tutorial, I ran into this. The MouseMotionListener callbacks use the old 0, 1, 2... button IDs instead of button masks:

if ( e->getButtonID() == 0 )
Ok I think I was wrong on this one. No matter which button I hold down when performing a mouse-drag, the MouseMotionListener always returns 0 from MouseEvent::getButtonID, not the button id. I think this is actually more of a bug than inconsistancy like I originally thought.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Patches are welcome, if they break interface compatibility they will be applied to Dagon and not to the maintenance branch; we maintain 2 branches at any one time.