nice feature will be ...

What it says on the tin: a place to discuss proposed new features.
David01
Gnoblar

nice feature will be ...

Post by David01 »

Hi all

I think that the nice feature will be a smoothly step who miss actually between 3d modellers and ogre engine capacity that he provide, fore
example creat a plung ins to put max files in to ogre withe all parameters
not only geometric shape objects but also bsp special and cutumisable compiler who authorize hight resolution textures withe it . and who put shader of the objects created in max directx to ogre directx who will be the shader converter, i think withe this ogre will become a tool kit of game creation and no just a graphic egine who in game is a rendering sub-system

it will muche easier to make a games because isn't it te final aim of ogre ?
IoN_PuLse
Goblin

Post by IoN_PuLse »

It's been said many times, OGRE is a rendering engine. That means it's not specific to games.

I wasn't able to really understand much of your post so that's the only question I can answer.
bugshake
Greenskin

Post by bugshake »

I normally don't pun on forums, but I have to say this is an impressive use of language (or should I say of the keyboard as a medium for communication) :D
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

When you're finished please submit the patch to the patch tracker :)
myak
Halfling

Post by myak »

Well.. hmm.. I *think* he wanted to say that it would be nice if someone created a plugin for Ogre which would load 3D Studio Max files into OGRE directly, without converting to .mesh file. Plugin should read all the parameters from max file - shaders, materials, particles. Oh, and don't forget that the plugin should also convert the scene to BSP.

Of course I give no guarantee for my translation from his bad English to my bad English, so you can't be sure that's what he mented :)
Marcin Jakubowski
jabber://myak@chrome.pl
psyclonist
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by psyclonist »

It has been said before. The .max file format is created via serialization of 3dsmax' objects and its plugins. AFAIK, it's not documented because it was never intended to be read by 3rd party applications. It'd be much easier to enhance the existing exporters than to try to extract the necessary information from this file format, IMHO.

Feel free to add your feature requests and help with the implementation :)

-psy
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

Also, .max is not exactly optimized as a ingame model format, whereas .mesh files can be directly loaded into vertex and index buffers and can have things like shadow data and tangent vectors precalculated.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Some versions ago, I did an ASE importer. ASE is the same as .MAX, but in ascii format, so any simple parser could read it. It did'nt implemented all the features of ASE files, because I just needed some of them, but it was pretty easy to do (actually, not much more than the Ogre API and some string functions -strcmp, strcpy...-) Give it a try. You'll notice how easy is to do it, and you'll learn a lot about Ogre ;)
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

I have heard that qsilver is intent on doing a bsp tool for Ogre - read his post here :)

And there's also a guy who's probably wondering if he really want to do an exporter for Caligari's GameSpace ... :wink:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Lioric
Google Summer of Code Mentor

Post by Lioric »

.ase is not the same as .max but in text format, is not even similar. Ase files are just an export format, much like 3ds or x

.max files are chunk based files where they store reference to the plugins that, when loading the file, will construct the file contents inside max (remember that 3dsmax is an interface to the underlaying plugins), for example when you create a sphere in max and save it, what is saved inside the file is the uid of the plugin (in this case sphere maker plugin) with the used parameters, not the list of vertex or edges or some
What is inside of this example file is some like:
sphere id | 5 segments | pos x | gen UV = 1

So unless you want to rewrite all the plugins of max (like 80 megs of libs), there is no way to read and load a max file on another application, sure you can extract some geo data, if it was collapsed to tris and is very simple mesh, but thats pretty much all you can get, not even uv coords

BSP partitioning needs a very specific modeling technique, and a general modeler is not aimed at that, so max is not very good in constructing coplanar meshes, non intersecting faces and all that is needed in bsp, not that max cant do that, but there is not real time test of the conditions needed to later do the binary spatialization, so is not efficient as QRadiant, and 99% of the modeling tools avaliable in max cant be used if you want it to be converted to a bsp structure

Lioric
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Before this turns into a technical article about file formats, I'll try to answer some of the questions:
Yes, you can use bsp-files with Ogre.
Use QRadiant or another Quake3 level editor to create your level and compile them into bsp - and load them into Ogre using the bsp scenemanager.
You can also choose to make your level in one of the modeling packages for which there is an Ogre-exporter.
You can then either load the resulting .mesh file directly or use the dotscene-compiler tool to chop it up.
Yes, Ogre is a rendering engine only - but there is tools for it. :wink:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Lioric

Post by Lioric »

actually i dont think he asked for "how to's", he was making a request for a feature and i think its very logicall to explain him why these features cant be implemented with the current time/assets avaliable

Of course i have to say that i had to decode that cryptic message, so probably im wrong, or not

Lioric