a tilebased terrain manager

Discussion area about developing or extending OGRE, adding plugins for it or building applications on it. No newbie questions please, use the Help forum for that.
Filopher
Greenskin

Post by Filopher »

madtulip wrote:first off the camera movement relative to the camera, not the grid, scrolling in the direction you are looking in with the mousewheel and so on..
i wrote some functions that allow you to select not 1 but 3*3 or 5*5 or more tiles at once (grafical marker also) and manipulate them. for manipulation i wrote some funktions to raise,lower or bring the terrain to an even level (to the z_min , z_max hight in the current selection). im not sure if something like that is needed in your project, but i liked to use it because the world creation via an image editor is a bit .. well unprecise. maybe ill use that later on for shellhole and such also.
Yes, that sounds very helpful for a map editor!
madtulip wrote: i would have send you the changes to your code by mail, but i coulnd find your email adress, would be nice if you send me a pm wih your email adress. speak german if you want to :) thx for your work.
I sent you a pm. :)
defence22
Gnoblar

Post by defence22 »

This project looks quite interesting and useful to many types of games. Have their been any recent developments? Also, has that code been implemented?
Thanks!
Khh
Kobold

Post by Khh »

this scene menage would save me a lot of time, but there was new screenshots but the code seems to be of a old version, and it also seem s to pack a few mem leaks, do you guys plan to release the code of a new version?
OvermindDL1
Gnome

Post by OvermindDL1 »

PLSM2, in the direction it is taking, would probobly work well as this.
polyveg
Halfling

Post by polyveg »

sorry for the delay...
- yes, the download link is outdated.
- yes, the code was added.

we didn't had much time the "last days" but i can promise a new version (sooner or later).
thats what i have changed meanwhile:
- some cleanups.
(the actual code is running here on linux32/64 and m$ without any problems)
- rotating the model to the selected tile before moving.
- new model texture-format (needs only a argb value) to change the color of the model in realtime.
- corrected the y pos of the model on the tiles.
- updated the codeblocks project files.

so, why there is no new download link?
just a matter of our spare time.
if you cant wait any longer (for some reasons) contact filopher or me.

polyveg
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Happy to see that you are still coding away..! :wink:

I briefly visited your forum, and noticed a discussion about licensing.
My German is very, very rusty - so I didn't catch the bottom line - so will the RTS terrain engine be open source? :)
polyveg
Halfling

Post by polyveg »

well, you visit just one of our forums ;)
the terrain engine is used in daimonin and in code-black.
no matter what direction code-black will take, the terrrain engine is a baby of the gpl.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

polyveg wrote:no matter what direction code-black will take, the terrrain engine is a baby of the gpl.
Is that GPL or LGPL ?
The former would force any project remotely using the terrain code to be GPL too, LGPL would allow any type of project dynamically linking to your code, whilst ensuring that any improvements to the terrain engine itself goes back into the code-pool.

I hope you mean LGPL. Like Ogre. :)
polyveg
Halfling

Post by polyveg »

well, i am brainwashed by richard m. so i was really talking about gpl ;)
the daimonin client3d (wich uses the tile engine) will always be using gpl.
but i have no problems if filopher wants to change the tile engine to lgpl.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

The LGPL is GPL compatible, not the other way 'round.
It would be awesome if it could be LGPL. :)

Thank you for answering. :wink:
Filopher
Greenskin

Post by Filopher »

Ok, some words from me. I'm not very active at the moment because university takes a lot of my time - in fact I've got an exam in two hours :D and some more following the next weeks. So I won't have time for much coding until april.

I think LGPL is a good choice and it's true that this choice should have been made long time ago. Unfortunately it's not my decision if code-black is open source or not. It's a team decision and team decision usually take far too much time. :shock:

However, the tile engine is not really part of code-black because nobody else in our team except polyveg and me has been working on it. I think this leaves us in the position to decide if it's LGPL or not - and personally I think it should be. So, if polyveg aggrees then I think the decision has been made.

My latest screenshot (have been working on a way to change tile textures during runtime):

256+ different textures can be used at the same time without any loss of fps values.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

This terrain engine does make me want to create a RTS type of game, even though I've never really wanted to! :D

Your project has great potential: good-looking, fast, versatile. :)

Good luck on the exams!
polyveg
Halfling

Post by polyveg »

some words about the project:

we set it to lgpl now, because jacmoe promised us infinity gold and glory for this step.

i did a few cleanups on the code of mudtulip, but after filopher wants his own object manager i canceld my work on this topic. so when we talk about the tilemanager, we talk about these files:
TileChunk.*
TileManager.*
TileInterface.*
we won't give support on other files.

there is a working (i refuse to say stable) project of the tilemanager in the cvs,
which holds our collective code.
to get some action, you can do this:
1) press left button on a tile.
2) press F2.
3) select another tile.
4) press F4
or press Page up/down on a selected tile.

binarys using the tile-engine:
http://www.code-black.org/versions/visu ... o_0.1e.rar
http://people.freenet.de/client3d/

the source is hidden on:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/daimonin/
(in the client3d subfolder TileEngine/)

the cv71 stuff is outdated, but code::blocks is working.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Very good news! :D

If one wants to submit patches, should we use the patch manager @ daimonin? :)
Filopher
Greenskin

Post by Filopher »

If you download the binaries for Code-Black (at the moment Windows only - sorry), you should know that the game is not playable, it's just a visual demo. However, artists are able to change the look of the world completely. Height, terrain and light is calculated via pixelmaps (look in the ogre texture folder).

The next paragraph applies to all tile manager versions:

You can easily change the terrain textures by replacing the files "terrain_XX_128.png". You don't need to replace "terrain_XX_064.png" to "terrain_XX_008.png", because they are generated on the fly and are only saved for debug info (will be removed soon). Also, you can change the applied filter texture by modifying "filter_128.png".
Mariusz Plaskowicki
Gnoblar

Post by Mariusz Plaskowicki »

Where can I find latest source of TileManager? I tried to look in daimonin source but I could not find it there. I downloaded file daimonin_client-BETA3-0966.tgz
polyveg
Halfling

Post by polyveg »

there is a working (i refuse to say stable) project of the tilemanager in the cvs,
(in the client3d subfolder TileEngine/)
Imperil

Post by Imperil »

[deleted]
found what I was looking for, sorry.
bigjhnny
Gnoblar

Re: a tilebased terrain manager

Post by bigjhnny »

Filopher wrote:As promised we will release the first version of our source code of a tilebased terrain manager for ogre today. We, that is polyveg and me, have spent the last months developing a terrain manager that can be used in turnbased or realtime strategy games. Of course you can also use it in any application you like.
Just want to say congrats and thank you to you guys for the tile terrain manager, it's looking good.
polyveg
Halfling

Post by polyveg »

hmm, was time for a little progress again...

i divided each tile into 4 subtiles (src-gfx stays the same).
1) you can see more details.
2) the tiles repeat only every 2. position.
3) triangle count hasn't change.

and i did a little speed and clean up...

(changes are not yet in cvs)

after some daimonin related stuff, i will have a look at:
- multiple filters.
- better water effects.

before

after
DaCracker
Gremlin

Post by DaCracker »

looks cool! :D
bigjhnny
Gnoblar

Post by bigjhnny »

Yea, definately cool stuff. Let us know when the changes are in cvs! :wink:
crispi
Gnoblar

Post by crispi »

Hello there!
As I am currently working on a strategy game myself, I've been looking for a tilebased engine and was very pleased to find yours. I played around with the textures and materials of the techdemo. I also added a second lightmap made with the L3DT Terrain Editor to simulate shadows and underwater lighting:
I think your terrain manager is just great! However, the techdemo didn't behave as expected in some cases:
  • -The x-axis of the image space (i.e. of the heightmap and lightmap) seems to be mapped to the z-axis in OGRE, and the y-axis of the image space seems to be mapped to the x-Axis in OGRE.
    -The intersection between water plane and terrain looks jagged, especially when using Direct3D and moving the camera away from the terrain. Is this "just" a problem with the z-buffer resolution, or is this somehow related to your terrain manager?
    -Do you remove tiles which are completely below the water plane? When I made the plane transparent, I couldn't see any of them
I'll probably be back with some more dull questions after having a closer look at your code.
polyveg
Halfling

Post by polyveg »

@bigjhnny
its in the cvs.

@all
/tools/tileEngine is still outdated you have to use the client3d cvs stuff.
as soon one of us has the time, we will sync the tilEngine folder to our projects.
a m$ binary is here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... p_id=53415

@filopher / crispi
image space & zoom out is not used in daimonin, therefore i never tested it.
macht das unter euch aus ;)

@crispi
the techdemo hasnt the subtiles support, you have to check the cvs.

yes and no. tiles below water are not removed, they become a single triangle and are moved out of sight. This was done because filopher didnt want a speed decrease (more tiles to draw for the ground) in the first days. this will change with my improved water support in near future. you will see the ground and we will have some up/down movement of the water.
This will cost some fps, but it will look much better.
polyveg
Halfling

Post by polyveg »

i have started to rewrite the water part.
its looking better now:
http://www.zippyvideos.com/332401486489 ... 006-04-23/

todo:
- spume
- animated tiles below waterlevel
- better water-tile gfx
- increasing tris for better 3d effects?

any help is welcomed.