Updated Contributor License Agreement

Discussion area about developing or extending OGRE, adding plugins for it or building applications on it. No newbie questions please, use the Help forum for that.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Updated Contributor License Agreement

Post by sinbad »

Hi folks,

This is boring legal stuff, but I've just updated the Contributor License Agreement.

Why? Well, as some of you may know, I recently needed to contact a lawyer about an alleged violation of OGRE's license (details of this are not public and will not be disclosed, so don't ask please). Previously, the contributor license stopped short of assigning copyright because I like people to keep their own code and be able to do what they want with it - however this has a possible sticking point when it comes to pursuing license violations, in that the copyright holders have to do the pursuing. In the single legal case I've had to deal with so far, I've been lucky and the scope of the contributors for the affected code was narrow enough for this not to be a problem, but in future there's a possibility for complications, say if a violation covered code from many people. Therefore, the new contributor license deals with that and allows TKS to take this action on behalf of OGRE even if the code affected came from many sources.

I didn't realise it was possible to assign joint copyright before, but this is in fact perfect since it allows contributors to keep their own code, whilst at the same time making it possible to manage everything centrally, including pursuing legal action.

I'd appreciate it if people who have already completed the previous agreement would also complete this one. It's not absolutely essential to get complete coverage, but more significant contributors should ideally fill this in, so I'll be emailing a few people about this too.
hef
Gnoblar

Re: Updated Contributor License Agreement

Post by hef »

Is there a snail mail address I can send the Contributor License Agreement to?
I don't have access to a scanner or fax machine.
sparkprime
Ogre Magi

Post by sparkprime »

Heh I thought we were already assigning copyright to either you or Torus Knot, clearly I didn't actually read the agreement :)
Sslaxx
Greenskin

Post by Sslaxx »

sparkprime wrote:Heh I thought we were already assigning copyright to either you or Torus Knot, clearly I didn't actually read the agreement :)
Actually, now that Sinbad is no longer project lead - who would you send these agreements to?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore
sparkprime
Ogre Magi

Post by sparkprime »

Sslaxx wrote:
sparkprime wrote:Heh I thought we were already assigning copyright to either you or Torus Knot, clearly I didn't actually read the agreement :)
Actually, now that Sinbad is no longer project lead - who would you send these agreements to?
That's not legally relevant I think -- the agreement is with Torus Knot, not Sinbad.
sparkprime
Ogre Magi

Post by sparkprime »

I spotted a grammatical error in the license agreement :)

"against TKS, it's licensees, or transferees"
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

We (ogre team) are investigating legal options for a long-term future. For now the agreements with TKS will still stand.
Game Development, Engine Development, Porting
http://www.darkwindmedia.com