WARNING: MSVC, Linux and C::B build files being deleted!

Discussion area about developing or extending OGRE, adding plugins for it or building applications on it. No newbie questions please, use the Help forum for that.
Klaim
Old One

Re: WARNING: MSVC, Linux and C::B build files being deleted!

Post by Klaim »

Indeed! :)

Curtaoa
Gnoblar

Post by Curtaoa »

I know I am new to this project but like many of you, not new to large software/multi-cross-platform software distribution.

Its quite an exercise of will for me not to rant about fixing things that aren't broken, especially with the new shiny-tool-of-the-month. Set the way-back machine to 10 years ago compiling anything for linux/freebsd and you know the pain of "this new app is actually a call to sun-moon-stars lib, now start your scavenger hunt!"

I understand what you're doing any why you are doing it, and yes I read the mainteneince/configuration hassle that has grown into a beast been there, done that, sold tacos. Just frustrated that as expected it doesn't work for me. I cannot seem to get cmake to 'find' my directX SDK. I have re-downloaded March2009 and installed it to the default location, rebooted, installed it to my ogre directory and cmake is still oblivious. I'm sure its something stupid and simple, but its shut down my dev cycle.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction? I am about to go spelunking in the cmake config files to try and find how/where/what its looking for.

Edit: I have entered the paths manually but have had to guess which library is "THE" direct-x library, d3dx9.lib was what won the toss. I am compiling now and am hoping this works, but don't actually expect it will. When using automatic tools I am extremely uncomfortable with any kind of manual intervention.

CABAListic
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by CABAListic »

Simply set the environment variable DXSDK_DIR to the folder where you have installed the DX SDK. That should be enough for CMake to find it.

reptor
Ogre Magi

Post by reptor »

Perhaps that sort of problems can be caused by running with restricted privileges versus administrator privileges. I usually check that this isn't a problem, if something weird is going on. As it surprisingly often is a problem, unfortunately.

sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

CABAListic wrote:Simply set the environment variable DXSDK_DIR to the folder where you have installed the DX SDK. That should be enough for CMake to find it.
And in fact, the DirectX SDK installer does this for you. I was surprised that CMake just found my latest DirectX SDK automatically at first, since I install them in a custom location and have several installed, until I realised it used that. So I'm surprised that this is causing you issues.