RTSS and matrix representation

Discussion area about developing or extending OGRE, adding plugins for it or building applications on it. No newbie questions please, use the Help forum for that.
Mattan Furst
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

RTSS and matrix representation

Post by Mattan Furst »

Hello All,

I have encountered an issue I would like your input on. While attempting to make the RTSS hardware skinning (HS) feature work for both cg and hlsl I have encountered a problem. The HS sub-render state requires 3x4 world matrices. cg and glsl use a row major representation for their matrices while hlsl uses a column major representation.

As far as I can see this can be solved in 3 ways:
  1. During the construction of the HS sub-render state, check if the current target language is hlsl. If so construct the shader with 4x4 matrices instead of 3x4 matrices - This is currently how I implemented it.
  2. When using glsl set the shader in the RTSS to always use row major representation - I don't think this is a good Idea. I don't think I can blindingly set all glsl in the RTSS to use row major representation. Some shader may rely on the exact opposite representation. Plus this also has a small effect on the framerate.
  3. Create a new option in RTSS parameters. When this option will be turned on a parameter receiving an X by Y matrix will declare himself to receive an Y by X matrix. All that is need to do then is to change the multiplication operation in the shaders. Instead of multiplying [matrix 3 by 4] * [vector 4] we will multiply [vector 4] * [matrix 4 by 3].
Any thoughts?
it's turtles all the way down