RTSS on Android problems

Discussion area about developing or extending OGRE, adding plugins for it or building applications on it. No newbie questions please, use the Help forum for that.
Wolfmanfx
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

RTSS on Android problems

Post by Wolfmanfx »

Hi,

After digging around with my 8 android devices i can say that RTSS wont work well on these and i blame the driver writers of course! When i use the glsles optimizer from arasp it runs on almost all devices without it you get rendering glitches/black screen or at worst device freezes or reboots. The downside with the optimizer is that Compositor/Cubemapping demo freeze on all devices now (due cubemap sampling).

So i wrote the sdktray shaders by hand for all platforms (DX11 do not render correctly so i do not push it) but the handwritten stuff just work as excepted - what i saw is that most problems are due the subfunctions which the compilers due not handle correctly (the optimizer does inlining so we have only a main function).

I do not know how to proceed - if we rely on RTSS it looks like ogre crash on many devices but thats not true our component does the crash not the core.

Any thoughts?
TheSHEEEP
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Re: RTSS on Android problems

Post by TheSHEEEP »

What does it actually do, the optimizer?
Can we enable it by default?

I'm not a huge fan of RTSS myself, as it rips apart the shader, which makes writing and debugging them much harder. I prefer single files with one shader inside, which also has the huge benefit that you do not need to recompile if you fiddle around with the shaders. Understanding a shader that consists of 2 files and some materials is also much easier than scanning multiple c++ files for code and material snippets.
But I know that many people actually prefer RTSS, so if there is a way to keep it, we should do that, IMO.
My site! - Have a look :)
Also on Twitter - extra fluffy
Wolfmanfx
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Wolfmanfx »

The optimizer optimize the sub-functions (inlining) away + dead code removal which makes a huge difference on android.
TheSHEEEP
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by TheSHEEEP »

Hmm, doesn't sound like it could be harmful. So why not use it by default?
Wolfmanfx
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Wolfmanfx »

Yeah but whe. I enable it 2-3 samples make the app freeze (i am not sure which instructions make the driver hang but it happens on all devices)
TheSHEEEP
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by TheSHEEEP »

Ah, yeah, forgot that, sorry.
Hmm...

So it's either debugging the optimizer or RTSS itself.
The first one does sound simpler to me, if there is a way to show (and debug) what the optimizer produces. Of course, if we cannot change what the optimizer produces, it wouldn't make any sense.