Particle FX

Discussion area about developing or extending OGRE, adding plugins for it or building applications on it. No newbie questions please, use the Help forum for that.
bryan05
Halfling

Particle FX

Post by bryan05 »

Hello everyone,
I am a computer graphic programmer, who has worked on 2D/3D GIS for 4 years. Right now I am in Canada and studying computer graphic and game engine. I am good at DirectX from 9 to 11 and C++. I saw the tasks in the road map and are interested in "Off-Screen Particles". I have plenty of free time now. May I work on "Off-Screen Particles" ? or does someone else do it?
Last edited by bryan05 on Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Off-Screen Particles

Post by dark_sylinc »

Hi

Where did you read the off screen particles? That article/post must be old. It used to be in our Roadmap for 1.10 but that was a long time ago (there was even a failed GSoC attempt).
In Ogre 2.1 it would be quite trivial to do; though we still need to code a few interfaces for handling the depth buffers as smooth as possible (resizing, reading from depth for smooth particles, avoid decompression performance hits, etc).

If you want to contribute, you can pass by the GSoC 2015 Ideas page for things that currently needs tackling (Note that we were not accepted to GSoC this year).

We're focusing on Ogre 2.1 right now.
bryan05
Halfling

Re: Off-Screen Particles

Post by bryan05 »

Thanks for your answer,dark_sylinc.
may I start with Particle FX (PFX), Is there limit (three months) for the task?