FreeType dependency

Discussion area about developing or extending OGRE, adding plugins for it or building applications on it. No newbie questions please, use the Help forum for that.
Mako_energy
Greenskin

FreeType dependency

Post by Mako_energy »

I have recently upgraded from Ogre 1.8.1 to 1.10 currently in the trunk. One of the perks I was looking forward to with this is removing the FreeType dependency when I disabled the Overlay component. This appeared to not be the case, since CMake complained about the lack of FreeType when I configured. I didn't find any CMake options to disable FreeType. I also did a search for FreeType in the repo and only found references to FreeType in the Overlay component.

So my question is, is there any reason that FreeType wasn't set to only be required in the Overlay component was enabled? If not, then I may submit a patch with the necessary changes.

dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: FreeType dependency

Post by dark_sylinc »

Most likely a bug in the CMake scripts, but it would have to be verified Ogre still compiles and is actually not using FreeType anywhere else (AFAIK, it doesn't, but I could be wrong)

Mako_energy
Greenskin

Re: FreeType dependency

Post by Mako_energy »

You are correct in that it seems to be a bug related to the cmake scripts. The exact error I had was that after configuring (but before generating) it would say that the variable "FREETYPE_FT2BUILD_INCLUDE_DIR" was being used but was set to "NOTFOUND". It also listed all enabled Ogre sub-projects as places it was used. The variable "FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIRS" is added to the project configuration inside of CMake/Dependencies.cmake, so that at least explains why it appears to be used everywhere. However I don't know why it's listing specifically calling out "FREETYPE_FT2BUILD_INCLUDE_DIR" as problematic when BOTH freetype include directory variables are set to "NOTFOUND" when viewed through the CMake gui.

Ultimately I needed a swift solution, so I forced the variables related to the freetype include directories to be blank strings in the CMake file where I connect my project to Ogres. I did do another search and a couple of compile tests (built clean the second go just to be thorough) and I can confirm that as Ogre is, if Overlays are disabled Ogre can compile fine without FreeType. This is with the 1.10 version in the trunk as of a few days ago.