Shutting down fork threads.

Discussion area about developing or extending OGRE, adding plugins for it or building applications on it. No newbie questions please, use the Help forum for that.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Shutting down fork threads.

Post by mkultra333 »

I was wondering if it's really necessary to shut down threads discussing forks, like this one here: http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=84522

I'm trying (and failing) to compile 1.10. The only time I even got close was by using paroj's fork, only I got stumped by a missing DLL when it came time to test the browser, seems to be a win7 vs win8 thing. If that thread had still been going, I could just ask him about it. Instead it's locked down.

Team members have said they have no intention of doing a release or a release candidate of 1.10, it's not much interest to them. But it's of great interest to some of us, and if people make forks that are fundementally easier to set up and get compiling, that's a good thing to have on this website. So why not let the people who are actively making 1.10 usable have a thread here or there? It's perfectly clear that it's a fork, there's no need to panic about people getting confused by a proliferation of Ogre forks. Especially when they're making it easier to use.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
Wolfmanfx
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Shutting down fork threads.

Post by Wolfmanfx »

I already stated why in the thread.
The build system is not changed within the fork (it just auto download some deps).
Using CMake is awesome when it works out of the box.

I mean its really easy download the ogre deps copy the ogredeps into the ogre root folder and startup cmake hit 2 time configure and than generate your sln and thats it.
(and thats even works on all platforms the same way since we have cmake!)

Who said we are not interested in releasing 1.10? We are!
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

I was going by this thread from a while ago, when I asked if there was going to be an RC or a release. It didn't seem likely from the response.
http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=83666

You're saying to download the deps, but from where? They weren't in the hg clone I made, they aren't on the Ogre download page that I can see, http://www.ogre3d.org/download/sdk, and I can't see them on bitbucket. I must be missing the link.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
Wolfmanfx
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by Wolfmanfx »

mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Thanks, I'll give those a shot tomorrow. I was really hoping for a pre-compiled dependencies package, there always used to be one. But now that I've got 1.10 compiling, I'll see if I can get these working too, and maybe get a better 1.10 in the process.
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

Completely off topic and I've said this before: When I read your name, mkultra333, I can't help read it as Mortal Kombat (mk), Nintendo 64 (its original codename was Ultra64) and your profile picture reminds me of Killer Instinct.

So many mixed feelings...
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Ha! Though wrong, that would be a fine pedigree. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQLSB045S-U
moejac
Halfling

Post by moejac »

Trivia:
Mkultra333 changed his avatar to the Minaton after achieving the Ogre Forum Rank of Minaton.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Nice try, but I set my avatar to Minaton before the rank of Minaton existed. I suggested Minaton as a rank, since he's a creature from the Sinbad mythology, and it was accepted.

Finally I reached the rank of Minaton while still having a Minaton avatar, their synchronicity exploded with mythic power, and they were glorious days indeed! All lived in fear of my amateur skills and grating personality!

But eventually I became a Lich, a decayed husk of my former self, stalking the ancient city of 1.x. Sad times.
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by paroj »

mkultra333 wrote: I'm trying (and failing) to compile 1.10. The only time I even got close was by using paroj's fork, only I got stumped by a missing DLL when it came time to test the browser, seems to be a win7 vs win8 thing. If that thread had still been going, I could just ask him about it. Instead it's locked down.
what was the error you got? was it during compilation or when running the browser?
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

paroj, sent a PM.
insider
Orc

Post by insider »

This is the only thing I can relate to and does indeed send shivers down my spine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKUltra
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Yeah, that's the real origin of the name.