OGRE 1.10 release

Discussion area about developing or extending OGRE, adding plugins for it or building applications on it. No newbie questions please, use the Help forum for that.
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

OGRE 1.10 release

Post by paroj »

The 1.10.0 release of the OGRECave git fork was just created. This means that the code is considered stable enough for general usage and the current interfaces will be supported in subsequent patch releases (i.e. 1.10.1, 1.10.2 …).

If you are reading about the fork for the first time and wonder why it was created, see this blog post. For a comparison between the github and bitbucket version see this log.

For a general overview of the 1.10 features when compared to 1.9, see the OGRE 1.10 release notes.

For further information see the github page of the fork.
Last edited by paroj on Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
farrer
Halfling

Re: Ogre git 1.10 release

Post by farrer »

Firstly, thanks for your work.

But, wouldn't be more gentle to name it something else and (or) use a different release number? Calling it Ogre [git] 1.10 would confuse a lot of people that it's an Ogre 1.10 release, when it's just a first release of a fork.
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by paroj »

do you have a specific suggestion? It should tell people that this is an upgrade path from the official Ogre 1.9 release and includes all commits from bitbucket 1.10. Kind of like a patched Linux package.
Following the Debian convention this would be "Ogre 1.10.0+git" or "Ogre 1.10.0+cave". I do not know whether this is less confusing though. I changed the logo and color scheme to underline that this is a different flavor.

Maybe we should just wait and see how many people get actually confused? I mean it says fork on all landing pages and people are supposed to check what they find on the internet in the days of fake news..
farrer
Halfling

Post by farrer »

When forking there's a 'hidden etiquette' on FLOSS world of renaming it (there are tons of examples). Calling it Ogre being it not officially an Ogre package is at least ungentle and misleading.

If I install some package called ogre-1.10.0+git it's not explicit that I am not installing Ogre 1.10, but a heavy changed fork instead (those minor 'forks' that lead to '+something' on some distro packages, if I remember correctly, are just minor changes, usually made by the distribution packagers to adapt it to their package or compilation rules. And that your fork clearly isn't).

As a suggestion,if you call your fork OgreCave (and keep the explaining about what it is, as you already do on your pages), it would be sufficient. You could then use the 1.10 release number (and so 1.10.x as you want for latter bugfixes). If I install a package called ogrecave-1.10.0 it's clearly to me that I am not installing an official Ogre, but another project that if I look on the project's page, will be clear that is an Ogre 1.10 branch's fork.
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: OGRECave 1.10 release

Post by paroj »

thats fine for me :)
Trosan
Greenskin

Re: OGRE 1.10 release

Post by Trosan »

Hey paroj! This is awesome! Kudos to you and thank you very very much for this great work!

It's also very nice to hear that this fork will be merged with the official Ogre. That's superb! Go on! :)
loath
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Post by loath »

very nice, thanks for doing this work paroj! much appreciated!
MrMagne
Gnoblar

Post by MrMagne »

What's the current status of it ? it seems the bitbucket repo now mirros the github one... not a fork anymore ?
paroj
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by paroj »

yes, the fork was merged back. see the 1.10 release announcement: http://www.ogre3d.org/2017/04/23/ogre3d-1-10-released

you now get the same version on both github and bitbucket.