Hey Monster give the guy (misscrab) a break !

A place for users of OGRE to discuss ideas and experiences of utilitising OGRE in their games / demos / applications.
martinw
Halfling

Hey Monster give the guy (misscrab) a break !

Post by martinw »

Maybe he didn't know about the cross posting thing, chill man ! 8)

English obviously isn't his native language ! :evil:

Maybe an explanation, rather than a tantrum would be more useful.

Martin
Tyn
Gremlin

Post by Tyn »

Prehaps your concern would have made a better email?

Having a problem with how someone is talking to people is one thing, to publicly accuse them of having a tantrum is quite another.

BTW, I am aware of the irony of criticising someone for criticising someone ;)
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams

http://www.spacecolonization.net
2080: Space Colonization
monster
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by monster »

Yeah, sorry, my mistake.

I didn't realise that in languages other than English it's common practice to ask the same question in two different threads at the same time.

Obviously, also in languages other than English, locking a duplicate thread and requesting that the user doesn't repeat that behaviour (as other people had also done prior to me) constitutes a tantrum. My mistake again. Sorry.

For the record; I did post an explaination, and I also took the time to suggest a solution to the original issue.
martinw
Halfling

Post by martinw »

I apologise for publicly criticising someone for publicly criticising someone :?

Maybe MissCrab has been afforded enough explanations and is a violator :shock:

Peace 8)

Martin
Tyn
Gremlin

Post by Tyn »

Hey, I don't want to wade into any flame wars any further than I already have, but I'd just like to say that my quote has been misused in the above post by Martinw and was not was I was referring to.

Telling someone to follow the forum rules is a mods job, not criticising someone. What I was saying was criticism, I don't see how ensuring people follow the rules is anything bad or personal. It's life.

I thought I should clear that up, as I was worried by the way it came across.

Cheers.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams

http://www.spacecolonization.net
2080: Space Colonization
martinw
Halfling

Post by martinw »

I was just being pedantic :oops:

Could anyone point me in the direction of his thread that is still open, I was just trying to help the guy out, he was asking basic questions, which are probably thought to be a little "below" :wink: the likes of some forumees and I was stopped mid help :cry:

I guess I'm black listed now; or is that not PC enough for everyone (violator :shock: ).

Sorry can't help myself, seriously though if you know where his other thread is please advise..............................

Should rename myself to the inflamator after this :wink: I guess. Sorry :roll:.

Martin
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Don't worry, martinw :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by DWORD »

martinw wrote:Could anyone point me in the direction of his thread that is still open, (...)
It's here if you're still looking. :)
martinw wrote:(...) I was just trying to help the guy out, he was asking basic questions, which are probably thought to be a little "below" :wink: the likes of some forumees and I was stopped mid help :cry:
No question is "below", and the poster actually did get the help he was asking for. But cross-posting is generally agreed to be a bad thing; e.g. it makes it difficult for everyone to follow the topic when it's in multiple threads, and different people may spend their time answering the same questions. Time which would've been spent better otherwise.
martinw wrote:I guess I'm black listed now; or is that not PC enough for everyone (violator :shock: ).
Don't know what 'PC' means here, but as jacmoe says: Don't worry! :)
martinw
Halfling

Post by martinw »

Thank you :D

Monster and yourself are indeed right on the money, it gets very confusing when posts are in multiple places :lol:

Maybe when a thread is locked (if it happens again to someone) it would be nice if the thread that was still running was linked :?:

The reason I got wound up a bit was that I made the same mistake :oops: on the TGE forum and genuinely did not know that multiple posting was a bad thing and someone was kind enough to point out the error of my ways 8)

Sorry for the confusion :wink: everybody.

Martin

PC = Politically Correct in some circles.
DWORD
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by DWORD »

martinw wrote:Maybe when a thread is locked (if it happens again to someone) it would be nice if the thread that was still running was linked :?:
Yes, this would be good practice.
martinw wrote:The reason I got wound up a bit was that I made the same mistake :oops: on the TGE forum and genuinely did not know that multiple posting was a bad thing and someone was kind enough to point out the error of my ways 8)
It's basic netiquette, but of course you have to know it from somewhere. I always like to refer to How To Ask Questions The Smart Way, it's a good source on how to avoid things like this. :)
martinw
Halfling

Post by martinw »

Thanks DWORD.

The link was very interesting and informative 8)

Martin
johnhpus
Platinum Sponsor
Platinum Sponsor

Post by johnhpus »

Just a further thought about internet etiquette:

I'm not sure that it's entirely proper to make this sort of point a thread on the forum. I think it would go over much better as a private message. It seems like asking for trouble to post a thread that's a personal disparagement of a senior member.

But yeah, you apologised and I'm not commenting to put blame on you. It's just that I've never seen a thread like this before and I bet its considered improper (yeah, yeah, I know, I'm an ass to the dumber posters in the recruitment forum and have little room to talk).

Ogre's my first forum to, I think I'll read that article DWORD linked to.

doh! Did I just break defy my own advice by posting this advice? =)