Caelum - [WARNING: Screenshot intensive]

A place for users of OGRE to discuss ideas and experiences of utilitising OGRE in their games / demos / applications.
MWeb
Halfling

Post by MWeb »

Looks great! :D
I've tried to compile it on linux but i needed to change a define in the CaelumPrerequisites.h.

Code: Select all

#define DllExport __declspec (dllexport)
To:

#define DllExport 
You should check if it is for windows or not. Since the dellexport is only needed on windows. Other wise it worked perfectly thanks.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. I have loads of troubles to simply compile Ogre in ubuntu-64bit so I simply use my programming time in windows. Will change it right now, thanks.

By the way, glad it works fine for you :)
xplozyph
Halfling

Post by xplozyph »

Kencho wrote:@xplozyph, I'm having the same trouble in Linux (which I'm eventually forced to use, by the way). Unfortunately, photobucket, youtube and the like convert the videos to the flv (flash video) format, which exist only since version 8, so you wouldn't be able to watch it :(
@Kencho: I don't understand well. I have no trouble looking at videos on youtube or google video at all since there are in flash and their respective flash-based video player is somewhat "retrocompatible" with my 7th version of flash. My problem with photobucket being that it requires to have flash on it's 8th edition, not exactly the same.

Do you mean that you would still have the same issues posting it on youtube because what you upload is a flv animation? I don't understand well your answer, sorry :oops: I repeat myself, I stricly have no trouble with youtube or google video :roll:

danharibo wrote:
Kencho wrote:@xplozyph, I'm having the same trouble in Linux (which I'm eventually forced to use, by the way). Unfortunately, photobucket, youtube and the like convert the videos to the flv (flash video) format, which exist only since version 8, so you wouldn't be able to watch it :(
Use Video LAN?
We are speaking about the respective site-specific flash-based video players here, not a video file itself which wouldn't cause such troubles, of course :)
Humm... A signature, what for? I don't want to see it on other people's, except maybe if I release it under an open-source-like license... :P
er
Gnoblar

Post by er »

Now it's looking great with PLSM2, nice work Kencho.

I had to change few things as PLSM2 sets far clip distance to 0 if your card is capable of RSC_INFINITE_FAR_PLANE.

Only changes were checks in Starfield::preViewportUpdate() and SkyDome::preViewportUpdate() to ensure that getFarClipDistance() is something else than 0.

Keep up the good work !
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

er wrote:Now it's looking great with PLSM2, nice work Kencho.

I had to change few things as PLSM2 sets far clip distance to 0 if your card is capable of RSC_INFINITE_FAR_PLANE.

Only changes were checks in Starfield::preViewportUpdate() and SkyDome::preViewportUpdate() to ensure that getFarClipDistance() is something else than 0.

Keep up the good work !
Ah thanks! I still haven't touched PLSM2, but this information will be helpful for sure once I do it, thanks!

@xplozyph: Ouch, I thought flv was an invention in flash8. Will upload it there then later :)
[EDIT] Done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sztd8aHW2i4

PD: Screenshots anyone? :)
xplozyph
Halfling

Post by xplozyph »

Thank you for having re-uploaded the video :D

There's no problem with that, I have doubts that you had misunderstood my point the first time that's why I insisted ;)

By the way, I'm glad to have insisted 'cause it's really cool, whoaaaa :shock: You've done great work, that's really impressive, especially with the terrain lighting influence :)
Humm... A signature, what for? I don't want to see it on other people's, except maybe if I release it under an open-source-like license... :P
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Thanks a lot :) Hope many people find it useful!
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

I will put Caelum to the test this week-end! Really looking forward to it! :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Great! By the way, forgot to mention two additions I did yesterday, but are still untested: Functions to (un)register all the RenderTargetListeners (aka: domes, sun...) to a certain render target, instead of doing it manually one by one; and CaelumListeners, great to test new functionality or overriding Caelum functionality ;)
gerds
Goblin

Post by gerds »

I'm having those cg problems with "pow" as well.

I use build against ogre straight from the latest sdk.

I'm running on a core2 duo with a 7900GTX.

Anyone fixed the problems?
Sweenie
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by Sweenie »

try changing this line in CaelumSystem.cpp

vp->setParameter ("profiles", "vs_1_1 arbvp1");
into this...

vp->setParameter ("profiles", "vs_2_0 arbvp1");
gerds
Goblin

Post by gerds »

Didn't fix it :oops:, still the same "pow" problem
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Will have to take a look into this when I find some time, as seems that I were wrong choosing the minimum shader profiles.
er
Gnoblar

Post by er »

@gerds Did you change them both?

@Kencho Is it working with vs_1_1 for you? I'm noob with shaders, but I'm referring to Sinbad's answer if you look at link I posted. Profile was only thing I changed + few mods in test app to meet Eihort.

btw. using WinXP
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Yes, it does, but I'm not sure if it's because of arbfp... :?

What cards and rendersystems are you using?
er
Gnoblar

Post by er »

WinXP mobileX700 directX, drivers are from stoneage as Acer haven't updated them and ATI's testsoft says that I can't use theirs.

Few shots from my PLSM2+Newton+Zoidcom test system
klik
klik

edit: like I said, noob with shaders
link I was referring, Sinbad was after ps_2_0 in his reply
fatal error C9999: Dependent texture operations don't meet restrictions of texture shaders
this was the error that I and BRAINLESS got after commenting out pow()'s and after changing both profiles to 2_0 problem solved
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Nice shots!! Thanks for posting them!

Hmm... what I suspected... Have you tried running it under OpenGL? I didn't got any problems because I only use the OpenGL renderer. At first I put only the ps_2_0 profile and it crashed, even though my card is a 6600GT. After I added arbfp1 everything went great :)
Now I have a good hint about where to investigate :)
er
Gnoblar

Post by er »

Only stars and sun are visible with opengl, no skydome and I'm experiencing some whole screen blue effects now, can't take shots as system crashes after few secs after I start app (is there any usefull info in that dump file?), not sure why it's happening ...

But hey, what can you expect from ATI&OpenGL

with last crash Caelum.dll disappeared from apps dir :shock:
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

er wrote:with last crash Caelum.dll disappeared from apps dir :shock:
Hum, seems that today's not a good day for caelum. This morning I lost my whole work on clouds after a system crash, so now I'm in the same place I was three days ago :cry:
IFASS
Gnome

Post by IFASS »

Kencho wrote:
er wrote:with last crash Caelum.dll disappeared from apps dir :shock:
Hum, seems that today's not a good day for caelum. This morning I lost my whole work on clouds after a system crash, so now I'm in the same place I was three days ago :cry:
Aw, that sucks :(

no recovery possible?
Jerky
Orc Shaman

Post by Jerky »

Did you check your temp folders or do a search for files modified in the last 3 days (or even last 1 day)? I am no expert with IDE's but I know most programs keep temporary saves of things in temp directories. It might be worth a try.
Erik Briggs (Jerky)
My Blog
Project Wish
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

If there is one, I haven't found it :/ Anyways, most of the work was trial and error, so it will take less time the next try...
gerds
Goblin

Post by gerds »

I changed to use OpenGL instead of DirectX9 and now Caelum loads up fine. I really want to use the DirectX9 renderer though, because it runs a lot faster for our scene than the OpenGL renderer.

Anyone got Caelum working with DirectX9?
Game_Ender
Ogre Magi

Post by Game_Ender »

Kencho wrote:Hum, seems that today's not a good day for caelum. This morning I lost my whole work on clouds after a system crash, so now I'm in the same place I was three days ago :cry:
That sucks, how often do you check you code into source control? I get nervous when I leave things unchecked for that exact reason.
er
Gnoblar

Post by er »

Works fine for me but everyone else seems to have nvidia based systems.With OpenGL it works otherwise fine but having holes in skymesh.