ask how to simulate bicycle in OGRE and OgreOde

A place for users of OGRE to discuss ideas and experiences of utilitising OGRE in their games / demos / applications.
D4NS
Gnoblar

ask how to simulate bicycle in OGRE and OgreOde

Post by D4NS » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:26 pm

Hi,

I am newbie in Ogre and ODE. Right now i am doing project in bicycle simulator. i use OGRE 1.4.7 for 3D Rendering and OgreOde Wrapper for physic engine. my first step, i replace subaru model from a Gran Turismo example that came with OgreOde SDK with bicycle model and i add four bicycle wheels. I know it is not bicycle simulator but for first experiment i did it. after i finished to replace subaru model and change configuration for subaru, when i execute my application, i saw the problem that my bicycle and four wheels on road but when i moved the bicycle, four bicycle wheel are not move on road but they move up, down and anti clockwise on the road.

my questions are :
1. can you give me hints, clues or advice to fix the problem from my applicaton?

2. i have plan to break my bicycle model to be some part such as steer, body, wheel, pedal and brake.
can you give me some examples or how to control all part of my bicycle?

3. where i find references such as source code, books, etc for my project?

if all of you do not mind i need your answer immediately because i need help and fast.

Thank you.
0 x

ahmedali
Gnome

Post by ahmedali » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:57 am

You need to take time to understand how ODE works, it isnt a friendly engine to work as you desire. First u have to identify why the wheels are behaving like that, are they overlapping or is collision is not disabled between the wheels or because of bad joint setup?

Also you need to re-adjust the joints, make only the first one steerable, have done that ?
2. i have plan to break my bicycle model to be some part such as steer, body, wheel, pedal and brake.
can you give me some examples or how to control all part of my bicycle?
You can break them in blender or other 3d app and reexport with parts then attach them to proper nodes, you can add skeleton to the single mesh, and manually control the bones for each movable part.
3. where i find references such as source code, books, etc for my
project?
In theory there is little different between the setup of a car and 4 wheel cycle, so you should just spend more time with OgreOde, make the wheels/joints setup right.
0 x