Genre wiki tutorials

A place for users of OGRE to discuss ideas and experiences of utilitising OGRE in their games / demos / applications.
Kreso
Gremlin

Genre wiki tutorials

Post by Kreso »

Would you be interested in a new series of wiki tutorials, covering making various game genres using ogre?

I've worked on three diferent genres using Ogre so far - Platformer, 2.5D adventure game and a 3D strategy game and would be glad to document their development process.

The idea is to document every relevant technique used and any major problems encountered in realizing the project in order to help others making a game of the similar genre not having to invent the wheel, or at least being able to see a different approach (and hopefully suggest a better one ;)
Cateia Games | Theora Video Plugin
Made a project using Ogre? Help others by writing about your experiences on the Wiki Experiences page!
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Absolutely - any and all tutorials & educational material are welcome in the wiki, so long as they're connected with Ogre. Very practical experiences like this are especially useful.
Kreso
Gremlin

Post by Kreso »

I'm working on it right now, where should i put a link to the genre page? I was thinking either in the main wiki page under Using Ogre or under the tutorials section
Made a project using Ogre? Help others by writing about your experiences on the Wiki Experiences page!
Kreso
Gremlin

Post by Kreso »

Here's a first draft to see how it would look like. comments are encouraged!

http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Genres
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

I've put it in Using OGRE on the main page. If you allow, I'd also change the name from Genres ot Experiences and create a category for it.

I think Experiences fits better than just Genres as the title.

And btw: Thank you for sharing your experiences with the community!
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Hear, hear! Thanks for doing it! :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
zorocke
Halfling

thanks

Post by zorocke »

These looks like they will be very useful to people after they are complete. :)
Kreso
Gremlin

Post by Kreso »

@spacegaier: I agree, experiences would sound better. can you rename the wiki nodes?

@zorocke: that's the idea, to help people working on similar projects, or if nothing else, to provide a good read :)

hopefully, others will join in the effort, it doesn't really take a lot of time.
Kreso
Gremlin

Post by Kreso »

I can't save a page on the wiki. it says:
A database query syntax error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. The last attempted database query was:

(SQL query hidden)

from within function "SearchMySQL4::update". MySQL returned error "1194: Table 'wiki_searchindex' is marked as crashed and should be repaired (localhost)".
edit: it seems to save the page but it reports the same problem every time I try to save the page.
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Genre wiki tutorials

Post by spacegaier »

I renamed the Genres page to Experiences. I would also name the pages describing one certain project not with the genre in the title, but just Experiences:Projectname. As the whole catergory grows by the time we can put the projects in different categories to structure them.

If I'll get your OK I'll change that too.
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
Kreso
Gremlin

Post by Kreso »

spacegaier wrote: If I'll get your OK I'll change that too.
sure
Kreso
Gremlin

Post by Kreso »

While we wait for admins to fix wiki logins, I'd like to ask for some advice:

How should the project pages be designed? As one long page or broken down into multiple pages/sections?

eg. take a look at tibor: http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Pl ... enre:Tibor

when I write all the stuff I plan to, there are going to be lots of text and images there.
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

Well, I personally prefer long ones, as all the information is then on one page and so you can e.g. easily have a look at another part of this page to check something. Nowadays, it shouldn't be a problem regarding the bandwith of the users (concidering page loading times).

I don't know what's about bandwith on the server side. From this perspective, smaller pages could perhaps be better, but only if people only want to check out a certain part of the page. If they go through all parts of a project and have to load several pages, the load for the server is probably bigger than if it was with just one big page.

EDIT: Changed the project page names and created a new category for them. As soon as there are more pages, I'll create a template that can be added at the bottom of each page for a quicker navigation in this wiki area.
Kreso
Gremlin

Post by Kreso »

I'm almost done with Tibor, comments are welcome, if you're having trouble understanding something, don't hesitate to ask.
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

It's really nice! Many interesting information on the techniques that stand behind such a games. I'm really looking forward to see more of them!
Kreso
Gremlin

Post by Kreso »

Tibor is complete. I will move onto covering other games as soon as I find some more free time.

I'd appreciate some feedback on Tibor! :)
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
OGRE Community Helper

Post by Beauty »

The Tibor wiki page is great !
Kreso wrote:Tibor is complete.
No, there is something left: TODO: write other cpu optimisations :wink:

I prefer no divided pages for Experiences.
This would be bad for overview. Only for massive source code I would externalize.
Loading time doesn't matter, because everybody can see the top of the text quickly. The rest will be loaded by reading.

Because of the broken link (in a post above) - the Tibor page now is here:
http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Experiences:Tibor
Help to add information to the wiki. Also tiny edits will let it grow ... :idea:
Add your country to your profile ... it's interesting to know from where of the world you are.
Kreso
Gremlin

Post by Kreso »

Beauty wrote: No, there is something left: TODO: write other cpu optimisations :wink:
yes, that hasn't been done at the time of writing the article, I will tend to that as soon as I find the time. and write the other two articles as well.
Kreso
Gremlin

Post by Kreso »

I've added some info on Legend of Crystal Valley: http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Experiences:LOCV