New terrain non-uniform world size

A place for users of OGRE to discuss ideas and experiences of utilitising OGRE in their games / demos / applications.
JeDi
Gnome

New terrain non-uniform world size

Post by JeDi »

Hi all,

We are trying to load geotiff heightmaps in the new terrain component of Ogre, but some things are not clear:
- The FreeImage website states that the library can handle geotiff files, will Ogre::Image be able to load them?
- The geotiff files have a different pixel-to world factor for horizontal and vertical directions. Is there support for separate worldSizeX and worldSizeY parameters in the terrain patches?

Also, the geotiff files are not square. Is there some tool I should use to cut them up? Will Ogre implement helper classes for that some day? It would be cool if there was a helper class which you could feed a gigantic non-square-of-two height map with its world boundings, and the class would cut the image up and create terrain patches from it.

Also in general, were should I look for usage information of the new terrain component? I am using the examples and the forum as a start, but I can't seem to find a lot of information about how the different textures should be built up. I am especially interested in the blend maps.

Edit: We are also looking for a solution to add tunnels in the terrain. Sinbad mentioned stencilling techniques, but I am new to this field. Does anyone have any pointers there?

Thanks a lot!

Greetings,
JeDi