Cloning Myth / Dark Omen / Total War with Ogre (?)

A place for users of OGRE to discuss ideas and experiences of utilitising OGRE in their games / demos / applications.
wilbefast
Kobold

Cloning Myth / Dark Omen / Total War with Ogre (?)

Post by wilbefast »

Hello :)

Over the weekend I did some experiments with Ogre. Here's a video of the results (can't speed to get youtube tags working here). Edit: I should mention that I made the terrain look like a hairy bottom - not sure why, I think the heat is just driving me a little mad.

I have some other projects to finish first, but I've wanted to make a Linux real-time tactics game (like Myth or Dark Omen or Total War) for a very long time, if only because the name "Open War" is terribly clever. In a sense my other projects have been coding practice for it.

I don't want to dive into anything before having a good idea of what I'm dealing with though. Those who know Ogre a little, do you think it would work well for this kind of project? Or maybe just this kind? I don't want it to be pretty, I'm not all that interested in high modern effects like bloom or high dynamic-range or normal mapping or reflections or what have you, but a would like to render a ton of fairly low-polygon entities on screen at once and have it run smoothly on low- to mid-range hardware.

If Ogre isn't made for this kind of thing, do you know something that is? And if Ogre is fine for this sort of thing, what sort of options, configurations, plugins and so on should be used in your opinion? It will be outdoors, with height-map terrain and obstacles like trees and houses.
Last edited by wilbefast on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
assalier
Kobold

Re: Cloning Myth / Dark Omen / Total War with Ogre (?)

Post by assalier »

I have been using Ogre for my little hobby projects and by far it's the easiest engine to understand and prototype anything, also dealing with 2000+ entities on an average system goes pretty well.

It is surprisingly stable and fast, and it doesn't forces you to use a full set of framework like Unity/Torque.
areay
Bugbear

Post by areay »

BEWARE! NSFW! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
wilbefast
Kobold

Post by wilbefast »

areay wrote:BEWARE! NSFW! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Oh um sorry :oops: yeah, I probably should have mentioned that I made the terrain look like a hairy bottom - something not easily mistaken for any other height-map I'm sure you'll agree (I wasn't sure where Ogre was going to look for terrain.png so I made a very recognisable version to test).
areay
Bugbear

Post by areay »

wilbefast wrote: I probably should have mentioned that I made the terrain look like a hairy bottom .
I've seen it, I can't un-see it. :D
wilbefast
Kobold

Post by wilbefast »

areay wrote:I've seen it, I can't un-see it. :D
:P I do this kind of thing so often while programming that I barely notice: when I'm debugging my logs messages tend to be things like "your head a splode" (SFW btw). It's a good way of staying sane... ish.
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

I named a control cunt (I promis I missed the O accidently) :S well I still work there so I did lol
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
OllyOrc
Gnoblar

Post by OllyOrc »

This is amazing news and I pledge my knowledge and assistance to you, as I run the Warhammer Dark Omen Forum and one of our modders also attempted such a remake project in Ogre (sadly inactive for a year) but all of us fans would be delighted with such a sequel, as no other game has beaten Dark Omen on true Line of Sight, Attack ground for Archers/Artillary (for those intercept shots), also solid troop formations and uses actual Warhammer Table Top battle/combat ruleset.

Please find us at www.dark-omen.org and all of us modders document our work on our wiki

http://wiki.dark-omen.org/do/WARTBED

if you want to view the earlier Ogre remake project called WARTBED, the creator/modder named Mikademus got quite far and I use a Dark Omen map viewer, he made in Ogre to display any new Mod maps I am currently making.

http://forum.dark-omen.org/introduction ... 696.0.html

All welcome any time and I hope to be of some help to your own fine project, as you already got the map and camera looking great, in your beta vid.

:)
Insane
Deactivated User

Post by Insane »

Hello Everyone,
New on this forum nice topic ... :D