importing terrain from ALE

A place for users of OGRE to discuss ideas and experiences of utilitising OGRE in their games / demos / applications.
harmon
Halfling

importing terrain from ALE

Post by harmon »

I was looking in the wiki and saw the Advanced Terrain Editor listed as an easy tool to use. My objective is to use this terrain editor (or any other one that is fairly easy to use) and then be able to import the terrains into ogre. Problem is, ALE exports in the DirectX .x format and OGRE does not support this. What is the easiest way to get .x files into a file format OGRE accepts (.mesh I would assume?) ?
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Import it into a 3d program, export it as 3ds - use a 3ds2xml converter tool - found by searching this forum.
Or, if you have max, export to Ogre mesh directly. :wink:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
spookyboo
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by spookyboo »

Why don't you just use the heightmap it produces and load it in the TerrainSceneManager? I've tried to export the .b3d model from ALE and convert it into a .mesh, but I didn't like the result. The terrain got sharp edges instead of smooth. The other problem was, that you cannot get the textures right. The textured terrain in ALE looks very nice, but the exported texture is split into 4 large files that don't look the same if you load them into Ogre. A terrain editor that does some texturing would be cool...
harmon
Halfling

Post by harmon »

ok, so if i just used the hightmap that ALE produced then I would have to texture it myself right? so i could just import the heightmap into blender or 3ds max and texture it ?? (im saying that as if it sounds easy, but it wont be cause ive never done it)

my next question is: is this the easiest way to get some simple terrain? if not, I just need the easiest way to create/get some terrain for a first step for me.
harmon
Halfling

Post by harmon »

any takers on what's the easiest way to get some good looking yet simple terrain into OGRE for a newb?
RoundSparrow
Greenskin

Post by RoundSparrow »

u aren't alone with this problem...
tuan kuranes
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by tuan kuranes »