Content creation for Ogre 2.0 and 2.1

A place for users of OGRE to discuss ideas and experiences of utilitising OGRE in their games / demos / applications.
Pellaeon
Goblin

Content creation for Ogre 2.0 and 2.1

Post by Pellaeon »

Hi,

I want do ask how user of Ogre 2.0 and 2.1 create there models.
In general, while the engine itself is really cool, our modelers are frequently complaining about Ogre because the content creation isn't supported very well. There is EasyOgre for 3ds max and a python script for Blender which exports for ogre 1.10/1.11. But often, fancy build-in materials of the modeler software isn't supported.

And from the programming site I have the old dotscene importer from the dead ogremax plugin which doesn't work with ogre v2.x. So how are other people working with ogre, How do you create your content, especielly for the new versions?

Best regards

Pellaeon
Owl53
Halfling

Re: Content creation for Ogre 2.0 and 2.1

Post by Owl53 »

I'm not using Ogre 2.0+, still using Ogre 1.11, but I think I'm right in saying that the first part of the process is still the same. You can use OgreAssimpConverter to convert from the model format of the modelling program you use to .mesh.

After that is then the 2.0+ specific bit, I think. The OgreMeshTool can then be used to upgrade the mesh from V1 to a V2. It's probably best that someone with more experience of Ogre 2.0+ confirms this, but I think that's how to create the V2 meshes.
xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by xrgo »

My engine reads blend files directly so I just use Blender for everything, I open sourced it viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93145#p537912 but I don't have the time to make it an Addon so it needs lots of work before anyone can use it
I think another solution with lots of potential is this one: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=94387
Pellaeon
Goblin

Post by Pellaeon »

Owl53 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:21 pm I'm not using Ogre 2.0+, still using Ogre 1.11, but I think I'm right in saying that the first part of the process is still the same. You can use OgreAssimpConverter to convert from the model format of the modelling program you use to .mesh.

After that is then the 2.0+ specific bit, I think. The OgreMeshTool can then be used to upgrade the mesh from V1 to a V2. It's probably best that someone with more experience of Ogre 2.0+ confirms this, but I think that's how to create the V2 meshes.
Mesh files are the one (easy) thing. What is about material? And what is about complete scenes with animations etc.?