Use ogre without display screen

A place for users of OGRE to discuss ideas and experiences of utilitising OGRE in their games / demos / applications.
crazyjul
Gnoblar

Use ogre without display screen

Post by crazyjul »

Hi,

I'm currently trying to use Ogre for a sligthly different goal.

I'm currently working in a video surveillance software company.

I'm using Ogre to create artificial video scene to input it in our video surveillance system.

I'm trying to configure Ogre to render only on texture, and extract image from texture in a raw format.

Does anyone know how I can do this??? (I can manage to read from texture, but not to disable main screen)

Thank you
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

The most portable way to accomplish this would be by making the primary window an invisible dummy window. I don't think this is currently possible, but it's probably trivial to implement especially for GL.
davormrkoci
Gnoblar

Post by davormrkoci »

Why does the window need to be created at all?

I know that currently certain managers get initialised when the first window gets created. Could that initialisation be moved somewhere else, or is it really dependent on the window being there?
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

You don't have a context without an initial window. This is true for GL under windows, I'm not sure about other platforms, I think GLX can live with a pbuffer as primary context. That's why I said "most portable solution". It's also the most easy solution to implement.

And yes, you really need a window context for the primary rendersystem initialisation. Without a context you can't create textures, hardware buffers, and other rendersystem objects.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

What about a minimised window? :? Just an idea...
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Minimized is a possibility, but it can even be completely hidden via the Windows API. Not sure about directX though.. that might do weird things like lose the device context.
sevensevens
Gnoblar

Post by sevensevens »

Why is disabling the main screen important? I'm not suggesting you ignore the boss, but you might want to ask if rendering without a context is that important, as it will require quite a bit of work on your part. Generally, bosses are happy to change small things in the requirements if it saves the company time or money (NOTE: This does not apply if you work for the government).